STOP LIMITING UNARMED SECURITY OFFICER OPPORTUNITIES FOR NO GOOD REASON!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
STOP LIMITING UNARMED SECURITY OFFICER OPPORTUNITIES FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!!
Today many otherwise qualified people are prevented from becoming unarmed security guards because of an outdated requirement in the licensing regulations.
In this day-and-age where our best universities (in both Florida and around the country) offer even advanced degrees through online learning, a 27-year-old Florida legal restriction still requires 40-hours of FACE-TO-FACE TRAINING for unarmed security officer licensing – online training is NOT allowed!
This is so even though the requirements for other related professions were long ago revised to allow for online training.
This face-to-face training requirement for unarmed security guards denies equal access to many, many people with specific needs or limitations -- for example:
- Single parents with child care needs;
- Full-time employees who cannot take a week off work with no pay to attend face-to-face training;
- Full-time students who cannot take a week away from classes causing them to fall behind in their school work;
- People with transportation issues;
- Recently discharged veterans and active-duty military;
- People with disabilities;
- Displaced persons after a natural disaster (for example, Hurricane Irma-devastated Puerto Rico that forced hundreds to relocate to Florida) who need to start work immediately to help their families and stay self-supportive;
- Individuals who have no school within a reasonable distance of where they live.
Under the current state of the law, all of these people are denied the right to become unarmed security guards no matter how otherwise well-qualified they are and FOR NO GOOD REASON!
In addition to opening the door of opportunity to these groups, online training can be offered at half the cost of face-to-face training. It also provides for convenient scheduling and is self-paced. And, due to state-of-the art monitoring and identification verification tools, it can be provided in a manner to better assure the public and potential employers that the individual has successfully completed all parts of the training and passed the required examination than is available under the current face-to-face training.
So, you might logically ask yourself, who would oppose such a sensible idea? Why would you deny all of these people the opportunity to advance their circumstances by becoming unarmed security guards? The answer: the selfish people who profit from running the face-to-face schools and are afraid of fair competition and do not care about anyone who cannot afford them or do not have the time for classes scheduled at their convenience!!!
IGNORING THE BENEFITS OF THE ONLINE TRAINING OPTION NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED AND WITH YOUR SUPPORT IT CAN BE.
Please sign this petition asking the Florida legislature to change this outdated requirement and to allow ONLINE training for unarmed security guards.
Today: Irina is counting on you
Irina Dudina needs your help with “Florida Governor: STOP LIMITING UNARMED SECURITY OFFICER OPPORTUNITIES FOR NO GOOD REASON!”. Join Irina and 662 supporters today.