To Legalize Same-sex Marriage in Australia
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Same-sex marriage was a struggle in Australia for years. It has now been legalized in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory.
However, a new problem has arisen. Australian conservatives have tried to stop free voting for the legalization of same sex marriage. This is an infringement of human rights, as they are taking away the right to marry, expression and the right to be born equal.
There have always been many problems regarding same sex marriage around the world. In Muslim countries, you would be executed if you were a LGBT. In 2016, a teenage boy was hanged in prison for being a person that was attracted to the same sex. A study showed that from the Islamic Revolution, which lasted from 1979 to 2008, between 4000 - 6000 people that were attracted to the same sex were executed. About 5% to 10% of LGBT youth people have attempted suicide once in their lives.
Same-sex couples in Australia are also facing discrimination. Organisations such as Rise Up Australia, believe that same-sex marriage shouldn't exist and only believe in the "traditional" family unit, which is made up with relationships between a husband, wife and their children. They also believe that children would be properly nurtured by a "traditional" family unit.
Fortunately, a petition regarding a man attracted to the same sex was passed recently. Paul Kelly, a Catholic Priest in Brisbane, Australia, had his petition regarding same-sex panic passed on 21st March 2017. His petition had received almost 291 thousand signatures, giving the ability to stop using same-sex panic as an excuse for murder in Australia.
What we want is to be able to make everyone in the world happy, that includes LGBT people as well. We want to make the world a better place, and we start with Australia. We need your help to make this wish come true.
Please sign and share this petition. Thank you.
1. Aph.gov.au. (2017). Same-sex marriage – Parliament of Australia. [online] Available at: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook44p/Marriage [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
2. Bickers, C. (2017). Research ‘adds weight’ to same sex marriage push. [online] NewsComAu. Available at: http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/suicide-rate-research-adds-weight-to-same-sex-marriage-push/news-story/0c05f24fdd0bfa8e8a87e985ac4b5b14 [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
3. En.wikipedia.org. (2017). Recognition of same-sex unions in Australia. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Australia [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017].
4. Kelly, P. (2017). Stop allowing “gay panic” as an excuse for murder in Australia. [online] Change.org. Available at: https://www.change.org/p/stop-allowing-gay-panic-as-an-excuse-for-murder-in-australia [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017]
5. Riseupaustraliaparty.com. (2015). Rise Up Australia » Same-Sex Marriage. [online] Available at: http://riseupaustraliaparty.com/our-policies/same-sex-marriage/ [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017].
6. Skynews.com.au. (2017). Gay marriage postal vote 'a desperate ploy'. [online] Available at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics/federal/2017/03/20/gay-marriage-postal-vote--a-desperate-ploy-.html [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
7. Weinthal, B. (2016). Iran executes gay teenager in violation of international law. [online] The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Available at: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-News/Iran-executes-gay-teenager-in-violation-of-international-law-463234 [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
8. Wikipedia. 2017. Suicide among LGBT youth - Wikipedia. [ONLINE] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth [Accessed 29 March 2017].
Today: Lee is counting on you
Lee An needs your help with “Federal Parliment of Australia: To Legalize Same-sex Marriage in Australia”. Join Lee and 33 supporters today.