To Legalize Gay Marriage In Australia
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Gay marriage was a struggle in Australia for years now. It has now been legalized in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, and also the Australian Capital Territory.
However, a new problem has arose. Australian conservatives has tried to stop free voting for the legalization of same sex marriage.This is an infringement of human rights, as they are taking away the right to marry, expression and also the right to be born equal.
There has always been many problems regarding same sex marriage around the world. In Muslim countries, you would be executed if you were a LGBT. In 2016, a teenage boy was hanged in prison for being a gay person. A study showed that from the Islamic Revolution, which lasted from 1979 to 2008, between 4000 - 6000 gays and lesbians were executed. About 5% to 10% of LGBT youth people have attempted suicide once in their lives.
Gays in Australia are also facing discrimination. Organisations such as Rise Up Australia, believe that gay marriage shouldn't exist and only believe in the "traditional" family unit, which is made up with relationships between a husband, wife and their children. They also believe that children would be properly nurtured by a "traditional" family unit.
Fortunately, a petition regarding gays was passed recently. Paul Kelly, a Catholic Priest in Brisbane, Australia, had his petition regarding gay panic passed on 21st March 2017. His petition had received almost 291 thousand signatures, giving the ability to stop using gay panic as an excuse for murder in Australia.
What we want is to be able to make everyone in the world happy, that includes gay/LGBT people as well. We want to make the world a better place and we're starting with Australia. We need your help to make this wish come true.
Please sign and share this petition. Thank you.
- Aph.gov.au. (2017). Same-sex marriage – Parliament of Australia. [online] Available at: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook44p/Marriage [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
- Bickers, C. (2017). Research ‘adds weight’ to same sex marriage push. [online] NewsComAu. Available at: http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/suicide-rate-research-adds-weight-to-same-sex-marriage-push/news-story/0c05f24fdd0bfa8e8a87e985ac4b5b14 [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
- En.wikipedia.org. (2017). Recognition of same-sex unions in Australia. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Australia [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017].
- Kelly, P. (2017). Stop allowing “gay panic” as an excuse for murder in Australia. [online] Change.org. Available at: https://www.change.org/p/stop-allowing-gay-panic-as-an-excuse-for-murder-in-australia [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017]
- .Riseupaustraliaparty.com. (2015). Rise Up Australia » Same-Sex Marriage. [online] Available at: http://riseupaustraliaparty.com/our-policies/same-sex-marriage/ [Accessed 27 Mar. 2017].
- Skynews.com.au. (2017). Gay marriage postal vote 'a desperate ploy'. [online] Available at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics/federal/2017/03/20/gay-marriage-postal-vote--a-desperate-ploy-.html [Accessed 22 Mar. 2017].
- Weinthal, B. (2016). Iran executes gay teenager in violation of international law. [online] The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Available at: http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-News/Iran-executes-gay-teenager-in-violation-of-international-law-463234
- Wikipedia. 2017. Suicide among LGBT youth - Wikipedia. [ONLINE] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth [Accessed 29 March 2017].
Today: Laxel is counting on you
Laxel Lee needs your help with “Federal Parliment of Australia: To Legalize Gay Marriage In Australia”. Join Laxel and 19 supporters today.