- Jay WeatherillSA State Premier
- Lara GiddingsTasmanian State Premier
- Martin FergusonFederal Energy Minister
- Barry O'FarrellNSW State Premier
- Ted BaillieuVictorian State Premier
- Colin BarnettWA State Premier
- Campbell NewmanQueensland State Premier
Federal Energy Minister and State Premiers: Implement consumer reforms.
- SA State Premier
- Tasmanian State Premier
- Federal Energy Minister
- NSW State Premier
- Victorian State Premier
- WA State Premier
- Queensland State Premier
- Premier of South Australia
It is a national disgrace that prices for one of the most basic services, electricity, have risen by as much as 100% over the past five years in some Australian states.
Electricity network providers, mostly state-owned, are spending six or seven times as much as in the UK or US on gold-plating their infrastructure, paying their executives enormous salaries and their employees up to six figures in overtime, and passing the costs on to consumers.
Meanwhile, state governments are effectively imposing a secret tax, giving these companies a regulated rate of return on their investments in infrastructure.
Consumers have been overcharged by $3 billion and poorer Australians are having to choose at times between food and power, because they can't afford both.
We call on state and federal governments to expedite the reform process outlined in the federal government's energy white paper and to deregulate the electricity market in the next 12 months.
In the meantime, we call on them to implement consumer focused reforms immediately, such as these suggested by consumer network One Big Switch:
• Greater price transparency, to make it easier for consumers to compare electricity plans.
• A mechanism for consumers to access their own electricity usage data quickly and easily.
Susan Hughes started this petition with a single signature, and now has 36 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Susan is counting on you
Susan Hughes needs your help with “Federal Energy Minister and State Premiers: Implement consumer reforms.”. Join Susan and 35 supporters today.