#FamiliesBelongTogether Call-To-Action - Toronto Demands on the U.S & Canadian Government
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
PREFACE OF DEMANDS: We recognize that state-sanctioned violence by way of separation of families has occurred historically and as well as present-day and this violence has manifested in distinct and systemic forms, as such the demands below are reflective of these complexities. As well, we demand all levels of government to take action- all are capable to make an impact, whether it be municipally, provincially or federally
FULL LIST OF DEMANDS ON THE U.S. AND CANADIAN GOVERNMENT
JUNE 30TH #FAMILIESBELONGTOGETHER RALLY & CALL-TO-ACTION IN TORONTO
DEMANDS OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT:
- The U.S. Government must Abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) – suspend all deportations, end all forms of immigrant detention, defund and dismantle the agency permanently and reunite all families.
- The U.S. Government must defund from privatized education and reinvest into public education that is equitable and anti-oppressive.
- The U.S. Government must defund from privatized correctional facilities and direct to increased employment and education opportunities for youth and racialized peoples and commit action to criminal justice reform
- We demand voting restoration for folks with felony convictions.
- The U.S. Government must stop accepting funds from the NRA and ensure national gun control/reform.
- End the School Resource Officer Program nationally; it endangers racialized students, in particular those who are undocumented, Black and/or Indigenous, while the SRO program also perpetuates the school-to-prison pipeline.
DEMANDS OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT:
1. Condemn the U.S.'s exclusionary, racist and unjust detention and deportation policies at all levels of Canadian government.
2. Revoke the Safe Third Country Agreement.
3. Revoke the Designated Country of Origin list.
4. End the quota restrictions on refugee claimants and asylum seekers that may enter Canada.
5. Suspend all deportations.
6. End all forms of immigrant detention in Canada and reunite families.
7. Grant Permanent Resident Status to all undocumented and migrant people in Canada, including everyone that has crossed over from the United States.
8. Declare Canada as a sanctuary country; where people can access basic services without fear, regardless of their immigration status.
9. Make it illegal for police forces to contact Canada Border Services Agency or vice-versa for the purpose of arbitrarily reporting and/or inquiries related to immigration status.
10. End the School Resource Officer Program nationally; it endangers racialized students,in particular those who are undocumented, Black and/or Indigenous, while the SRO program also perpetuates the school-to-prison pipeline.
11. Amend the education funding formula in Ontario to centre equity and quality to ensure properly funded schools with an increase to front-line workers that are reflective of their students and possess an equity and anti-oppressive mindset and a change to curriculum that reflects the realities of Indigenous peoples and African peoples.
12. Criminal Justice Reform and Ban Carding nationally and expunge any data collected
13. Ensure that the Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy (TAVIS) does not receive funding to resurge in any capacity, as it is complicit in the committing state-sanctioned violence in our Toronto neighbourhoods
14. Hold all Child Welfare Agencies legally accountable for the racist practices that have led to the over-representation of youth with Indigenous and/or African ancestry within CAS care.
15. Better conditions for those incarcerated including but not limited to an increase in educational programming and the ban of predatory inmate phone costs.
16. Overhaul Stephen Harper’s legacy of lengthened times to wait prior to record suspension and bring back pardons with a three and five year eligibility time frame.
17. Collect race-ethno based data throughout all levels of government.
18. Ensure a National Housing Strategy that is inclusive of all types of housing such as affordable and supportive housing - and that all and any type of housing or facilities be fully accessible.
19. Ensure national pharmacare, national dental care and national affordable childcare, free public post-secondary education, and living wages.
20. Acknowledge that many of these peoples flee homelands due to the imperialism of US and Canada in Latin-America, Africa, other continents and specific countries - hold Canadian corporations accountable both abroad and at home, for violating human rights.
21. Move to the implementation of recommendations from community accountable bodies that call for the end of all oppression.
22. Put an end to the Kinder Morgan Pipeline, and reallocate funds to Indigenous Peoples.
23. Establish a true government-to-government relationship with Indigenous Peoples and implement the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Today: LAEN (Latinx, Afro-Latin-America, Abya Yala Education Network) is counting on you
LAEN (Latinx, Afro-Latin-America, Abya Yala Education Network) needs your help with “#FamiliesBelongTogether Call-To-Action - Toronto Demands on the U.S & Canadian Government”. Join LAEN (Latinx, Afro-Latin-America, Abya Yala Education Network) and 88 supporters today.