FAA: Stop OHare Expansion plans to increase traffic on the Thorndale/Runway 27L
This petition had 5,173 supporters
[NOTE: Please see the newer petition by FAiR coalition at http://www.change.org/petitions/faa-immediately-halt-plans-to-change-runway-usage-in-october-2013. This petition was started before the FAiR Coalition was formed. See more info about FAiR at: www.fairchicago.org]
The plan will make the Thorndale/Runway 27L the most used runway at O'Hare. Planes using this runway fly over Chicago Wards 33, 39, 45, and 41. When winds allow there will be a:
500% increase in night flights (now 15-->90+)
40%+ increase in day flights (now 300-->400+)
There are no compelling operational reasons to dump new traffic all on Thorndale/Runway 27L.
The FAA needs to justify why they:
1. Will not use the new runway (Wilson/28/10 Center) between 10pm and 6am.
2. Will reduce landings from the northeast (Runway 22Right). The plan calls for a:
· 80%+ reduction in landings over the North Shore towns of Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glencoe.
3. Will close the two “32/14s” runways. The plan calls for a:
· Immediately eliminating landings over NW suburbs of Hoffman Estates, Mt. Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Arlington Heights and Palatine; eventually getting rid of all takeoffs too.
4. Will shift landings coming from the west coast to land from the east when +45% of all landings and +85% of landings from midnight to 5:30am come in from the west.
- The average predominant wind directions at O’Hare are SSW, S, or SSE. It can be dangerous to land straight east or west due to wind shear.
- Landings will have to fly past O'Hare and the City, turn over the lake, and go back in over the City. To each flight, this adds 15 minutes to fly 40 miles, for the +60,000 flights affected =
$150 Million for 40 Million extra gallons of fuel
Make noise now or you’ll get it later…
Tell your Federal and State representatives: “you protest the FAA O’Hare Expansion plan to increase flights, especially at night, on (Thorndale) runway 27L.”Request immediate installation of a permanent noise monitor 10 miles out in Chicago in line with Runway 27/Thorndale.
US Representative: Mike Quigley 773-267-5926
IL Senator: Ira I. Silverstein 773-743-5015
IL Representative: John D’Amico 773-736-0218
Cook County Commissioner: Bridget Gainer 312- 603-4210
Even now planes often come in low and loud, wheels down over 10 miles out from airport! Call Noise Complaint Hotline 1-800-435-9569 or online https://servicerequest.cityofchicago.org/web_intake_chic/Controller?op=csrform&restrict_loc=Y&invSRType=AVN
Today: No Noise NW Chicago is counting on you
No Noise NW Chicago needs your help with “FAA: Stop OHare Expansion plans to increase traffic on the Thorndale/Runway 27L”. Join No Noise NW Chicago and 5,172 supporters today.