- Sheila Cook, President of the Board of Directors, SHARKPresident of the Board of Directors, SHARK
- Roman GastesiCounty Administrator
Explain the Forced Resignation of SHARK's Founder
On April 12, 2013 Katie Bentley, the executive director of Safe Harbor Animal Rescue of the Florida Keys ("SHARK") was forced to resign by the President of SHARK's Board of Directors without being provided notice or opportunity to discuss allegations made against her. Kennel cough was given as the reason for her ouster, though other unsupported allegations of neglect were enumerated. Katie has worked at the shelter for eight years and , in 2010, personally formed the non-profit organization that runs the shelter. Please sign this petition and ask SHARK's Board to do the following:
1. Provide to the Marathon community, in writing, the reasons that they forced the resignation of Executive Director Katie Bentley;
2. Provide an opportunity for Katie Bentley to refute any and all allegations against her and for the Marathon community to present evidence and testimony in her support.
3. Open discussion on the reinstatement of Katie Bentley as the Executive Director.
There was not a single inspection, or an investigation, or any evidence offered in support of the Board's decision. She has received frequent walk-throughs from local veterinarians without incident. She also kept them informed about the dogs under her care with kennel cough, and was given the understanding that it is an illness that simply needs to run its course.
The shelter claims on its website that it wants to be 'progressive' and a 'pride for the community.' Now is the time to hold the Board of Directors to that claim. This shelter is contracted by Monroe County, OUR COUNTY. This shelter is part of OUR COMMUNITY. These animals are in OUR CARE. Do not let unsupported accusations undo the work of dedicated, selfless volunteers and employees and especially of Katie Bentley.
Please, sign this petition and request SHARK's Board of Directors to Reinstate Katie Bentley, the founder of SHARK, as its Director. By signing this petition, you will pressure the Board of SHARK to explain to us, their fellow community members, the rashness of their recent actions. You will help give the shelter dogs back their guardian in Katie. You will help put responsibility, to the dogs and the community, back in the hands of the person who clearly cherishes it so dearly.
- President of the Board of Directors, SHARK
Sheila Cook, President of the Board of Directors, SHARK
- County Administrator
Reinstate SHARK's Founder, Katie Bentley
Kimberly McConnell started this petition with a single signature, and now has 124 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.