Expand the #MeTooAct
This petition had 4,003 supporters
TELL CONGRESS: MAKE THE #METOO CONGRESS ACT of 2017 A NATIONWIDE MANDATE AND REVIEW AND IMPROVE SEX LEGISLATION AND MANAGEMENT NATIONWIDE- NOT JUST IN CONGRESS!
When I filed a sexual report with my local special victims unit, I waited over eight months for a call from the District Attorney before I began to call them myself. After three weeks of calling with no dialogue, I was detained in jail 15 days for harassing the District Attorney. My complaint was never investigated. The man who violated me lives just a block away and uses the way I was treated by the DA to perpetuate the myth that he is innocent. When I requested a copy of my report, I was denied and forced to appeal, only to find the report was 100% blank. It was as if I had never fought for myself at all. I was railroaded because they wanted me to go away. All traces of my effort vanished at the hands of justice without a word. But it doesn't have to be this way!
NO ONE SHOULD BE IGNORED AND BRUSHED ASIDE BECAUSE THEY'VE MADE A SEXUAL COMPLAINT
According to RAINN, the Rape Abuse Insect National Network, fewer than 1% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. This is due to poor, inadequate legislation and a tendency for victims to feel it's not worth pursuing because of stories like mine.
In response to the resignation of several members of Congress and Senate for alleged sexual misconduct, the House recently introduced the Me Too Congress Act of 2017.
This bill introduces a procedure to address sexual complaints in the congressional workplace- only, and doesn't consider the nationwide problem all sexual reporters face. We need to protect all citizens from sexual infractions, not just the privileged few in Congress. That's why I'm calling on you to advance this petition to extend the Me Too Congress Act to all government institutions nationwide and that includes the police departments and district attorneys.
Highlights of the bill are as follows:
1. Victims Counsel - a special office established to address sexual complaints.
2. Legal advice and counseling for sexual complainants
3. Investigations within 180 days of complaint (currently reports can be ignored and delayed indefinitely- the same is true for law enforcement and justice depts.)
4. A complaints must be investigated
5. Sexual harassment prevention training
6. Ends forced confidentiality clauses
This petition asks Congress to extend this protective and preventative legislation for all victims, not just elite institutions like Congress, and to amend to include sex legislation that improves outcomes and resolutions.
1. Extend Act to all governmental institutions nationwide, creating a safe and hospitable environment for people making sexual reports nationwide
2. Create stronger measures for accountability in sexual harassment legislation (punishments are often too severe to not severe enough for sexual crimes).
3. Review and redefine statue of limitations on sex harassment to take into account delay in complaint due to psychological trauma and unforeseen complications.
PLEASE HELP TAKE THIS MOVEMENT FORWARD BY SIGNING AND SHARING THE PETITION TO EXPAND THE ME TOO CONGRESS ACT TO ALL GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS NATIONWIDE
For more information visit millennialsex.org
Today: Millennial is counting on you
Millennial Sex needs your help with “Expand the #MeTooAct”. Join Millennial and 4,002 supporters today.