If everyone who listened to "Despacito" donated $5, we could give more help to Puerto Rico
This petition had 78 supporters
Sign, Donate, Share!
For anyone who’s ever listened to the widely popular song, “Despacito,” you’re in good company. About 4.2 billion people have viewed this song on YouTube. That’s more than HALF of the world’s ENTIRE population. This song was created by Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee (remix with Justin Bieber). Luis Fonsi was born in Puerto Rico (1).
Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, was devastated by Category 4 Hurricane Maria on September 20th. Despite FEMA, the National Guard and federal aid, Puerto Ricans are still suffering AND dying. About 86% of the people are still without power (as of October 16th) (2). This has affected businesses, homes, and schools, limiting people’s ability to live and work. People are relying on generators, including hospitals (3). The New York Times reports, getting power back on the island “will be daunting and expensive” (4).
Donate $5 to Puerto Rico - that's cheaper than eating ONE meal
To make matters worse, 85% of cellphone towers and phone/internet cables were knocked out (5). This made personal and relief communication very difficult (6). About 60,000 people on the island were already without power before Hurricane Maria hit (7). This is because Puerto Rico was hit by Category 5 Hurricane Irma earlier on September 7th. Hurricane Maria was the 5th strongest hurricane to ever hit the U.S. (8).
For Americans reading this, Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. This means that its 3.4 million inhabitants are U.S. citizens. However, only about 54% of Americans knew that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens (9). These U.S. citizens deserve the same humanitarian and federal response as Texas and Florida.
There is a simple and effective way you can help! If anyone who’s ever listened to “Despacito” donated at least $1, we would be able to raise billions of dollars for relief aid to Puerto Rico That's the cost of one, fast food meal! Less than the cost of medium popcorn at the movie theater!
Think about how you love the talent and song from Puerto Rico. La Perla is where the magic of Despacito was born and it is TOTALLY destroyed. They have NO WATER, NO FOOD.
This is your way to give back in a meaningful way. All proceeds directly go to Puerto Rico Rises (www.PuertoRicoRises.com). These volunteers are ON the ground, collecting food and water to distribute directly to neighborhoods throughout Puerto Rico. They work with national and international partners.
Sign the petition, share with your friends, and donate!
***This idea came from Trevor Noah at the Daily Show (10).
3. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/09/the-cri sis-at-puerto-ricos-hospitals/ 541131/
4. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/us/hurricane-maria-puer to-rico-power.html?hp&action= click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSou rce=story-heading&module= first-column-region®ion= top-news&WT.nav=top-news
6. https://www.thedailybeast.com/even-the-national-guard-can t-communicate-in-puerto-rico? source=twitter&via=desktop
7. https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/9/23/16354564 /puerto-rico-hurricane-maria- electricity-relief-dam- breaking
8. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=91004& linkId=42560784
9. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/upshot/nearly-half-of- americans-dont-know-people-in- puerto-ricoans-are-fellow-citi zens.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smty p=cur&_r=0
10. http://www.cc.com/video-clips/fz9won/the-daily-show-with -trevor-noah-it-s-time-to-pay- back-puerto-rico
Today: Marium is counting on you
Marium Husain needs your help with “Everyone who listens to music: If everyone who listened to "Despacito" donated $5, we could give more help to Puerto Rico”. Join Marium and 77 supporters today.