Providing Equal Healthcare to all Regardless of Race, Demographic, etc.
This petition had 43 supporters
The reality of current American society is that affordability healthcare is largely based on socioeconomic class, race, etc. According to census.org, the poverty rate in America is greatly consistent with demographic (U.S. Poverty Rates by Race and Hispanic or Latino Origin: 2007–2011). Because of this, many cannot afford basic procedures that may be life-saving, based on insignificant characteristics. Thus, we are apolitical campaign based on educating and providing the public with resources about the reality of demographic and its effect on healthcare.
What is the reality?
- 18,000 Americans between the ages of 25-64 died in 2002 because they were uninsured (Researchers of the Institute of Medicine).
- The latest poll (Gallup-Healthways) found a rise in uninsured U.S. adults from 10.9% to 11.3%, showing the unstable and volatile state of healthcare today.
- Survey in 2009 of 12,000 households found that 20% of people rejected or postponed healthcare because of cost concerns (Thomson Reuters).
- Hospital costs totaled $387.3 billion in 2011--a 63% increase since 1997, with inflation adjusted (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
- In 2011, 18% of the U.S's GDP is spent on healthcare, the highest healthcare spending in the world (World Health Organization).
What is our solution?
We are greatly influenced by the model of the Bar Association, in which several states require a set amount of Pro Bono hours a year in order for lawyers to keep their licenses. Thus, we are petitioning for several states to require a certain amount of Pro Bono work (e.g., 20 hours a year) for all physicians with the ability to do so. The ideal would be that physicians would reach out to underprivileged areas within a close proximity to their home/work.
Who would fund medical testing/tools?
- Support from local hospitals/businesses.
What else are we striving for?
- Ultimate goal: create better coverage by passing a law after education/outreach has been established through our program.
- Businesses with a certain amount of employees should offer their employees with insurance.
Thank you for reading and supporting this important cause.
Today: Act For Affordable Healthcare is counting on you
Act For Affordable Healthcare needs your help with “Everyone: Providing Equal Healthcare to all Regardless of Race, Demographic, etc.”. Join Act For Affordable Healthcare and 42 supporters today.