0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
What is happening:
- The Pioneer Valley Transit Authority and other regional transit authorities are lacking government level-funding to operate at the current service rate
Why is this happening:
- The current system is supported by a percentage of funding (level-funding) through the Massachusetts Commonwealth. The government has budgeted for $80.4 million for the past four years. Because inflation continues to rise 2-3% each year, this level-funding of the RTAs is effectively a budget cut.
- To maintain services, the government would need to increase the funding at least $8 million dollars and for the budget to be where it should be at
Why it matters:
- Services throughout all of Western Mass will be reduced and/or eliminated
- Fares will increase by 25%. A typical month pass (31 days) will increase $6-9 depending on where you purchase
Who does this effect?:
- Significantly impacts residential riders in the Western area of Massachusetts area to get to work, health care, food, etc. Primarily impacting lower-income communities, communities of color, and the elderly
- Non-Residential students will not have the same level of access as they did before limiting their options for access to other college campuses, medical concerns, work, etc.
What you can do:
- Sign this Petition! It will be hand delivered to Representative Jeffrey Sánchez’s staff. (Representative Sánchez is the current Chair of the Massachusetts Ways and Means,) This will happen Thursday, February 22, 2018
- This petition will also be delivered to the different elected representatives where the PVTA Service Area resides in (i.e. Westfield, Belchertown, Amherst, South Hadley, Etc.)
- Continuous advocacy for representatives to affirm their commitment to maintaining this crucial form of transportation throughout Western Massachusetts in addition to this petition. You can find your representative here.
Today: Camille is counting on you
Camille Gladieux needs your help with “Everyone in Western Massachusettes: #SavethePVTA”. Join Camille and 3,471 supporters today.