- Herman Van RompuyPresident of the European Council
- Prime Ministers and PresidentsEuropean Union Member States
EU leaders: Stop mass surveillance
Thanks to recent revelations we know that governments are using digital technology to monitor our emails, phone calls and the websites we visit. This is an attack on our freedom of speech and an invasion of our privacy. Tell Europe’s leaders to take action to stop the US, UK and other governments from carrying out mass surveillance.
We, the undersigned, call on our Heads of Government to clearly and unambiguously state their opposition to all systems of mass surveillance including the US's NSA PRISM system and similar systems in several countries in Europe. Europe’s leaders have not yet taken any action to stop this abuse of our right to privacy and freedom of expression.
We call on Europe’s leaders to place this issue firmly on the agenda for the next European Council Summit in October. They need to make it clear that they will do so.
They must take action to stop this abuse of our human rights.
This petition is supported by:
- Index on Censorship
- Amnesty International
- English PEN
- Article 19
- Privacy International
- Open Rights Group
- Liberty UK
- RSF - Reporters Without Borders
- European Federation of Journalists
- International Federation of Journalists
- PEN International
- PEN Canada
- PEN Portugal
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- PEN Emergency Fund
- Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE)
- National Union of Somali Journalists
- Bahrain Centre for Human Rights
- Catalan PEN
- Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) - Malaysia
- Belarusian Human Rights House
- South East European Network for Professionalization of Media (SEENPM)
- International Partnership for Human Rights
- Russian PEN Centre
- Association of European Journalists (AEJ)
- Foundation for the Development of Democratic Initiatives - Poland
- Independent Journalism Center - Moldova
- Alliance of Independent Journalists - Indonesia
- PEN Quebec
- Fundacja Panoptykon - Poland
- International Media Support
- Human Rights Monitoring Institute - Lithuania
- Warsaw Branch, Association of Polish Journalists (SDP)
- The Steering Committee of the Civil Society Forum of th Eastern Partnership
- The South African Centre of PEN International
- Estonian Human Rights Centre
- Vikes Foundation, Finland
- Public Concern at Work, UK
- Center for Democracy & Technology
Petition in other languages:
- Council of the European Union
- President of the European Council
Herman Van Rompuy
- European Union Member States
Prime Ministers and Presidents
Stop mass surveillance!
You will be meeting in the European Council in October 2013 to discuss some key challenges the EU and the world is facing.
We, the undersigned, call on you to clearly and unambiguously state your opposition to all systems of mass surveillance including the USs NSA PRISM system and similar systems in several countries in Europe.
We ask you to take action to stop this abuse of our right to privacy and freedom of expression.
We call on you to place this issue firmly on the agenda for the next European Council Summit in October.
Please take action to stop this abuse of our human rights.
Index on Censorship started this petition with a single signature, and won with 7,130 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.