Protect West Oakland Middle School: Stop charter co-location
This petition had 1,046 supporters
Envision Education has been offered space on the West Oakland Middle School campus to start a charter middle school. On May 1st, Envision will tell OUSD if they accept this offer. We want to persuade them NOT to take that space because it will be harmful to the last public middle school in West Oakland. We want to stop charter co-location on the campus with West Oakland Middle School (WOMS) for the following reasons:
- WOMS needs more space to support students with programs like restorative justice, reading and math intervention, English Language Development, Special Education, and coaching.
- WOMS enrollment is increasing, so the school is adding enrichment activities that need more space like dance, drumming, mindfulness, art, and African American Female Excellence.
- WOMS students want stability and consistency, and adding further disruption will cause academic and emotional harm. Other co-located schools report competition between and “othering” of students. This is always hurtful to adolescents, and likely to lead to conflict between students at different schools on the same campus.
- WOMS serves our whole community including recent immigrants (newcomers), students who require extra support with special needs, and students who have instability at home. These groups are frequently pushed out of charter schools.
- WOMS is building and developing a positive school culture. Putting a charter school on the campus will make it harder to maintain that cohesive culture.
- Charter co-location increases competition for scarce resources and is often a step toward closing and privatizing a public school that truly serves everyone in the community.
Your signature sends a strong message to OUSD and Envision that resources should go toward public schools that serve all students in our community. Please stand with us.
Today: Christie is counting on you
Christie Blakley needs your help with “Envision Education : Protect West Oakland Middle School: Stop charter co-location”. Join Christie and 1,045 supporters today.