For years, GREY2K USA has tried to obtain greyhound injury reports for the Tri-State Racetrack in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. During that time, we have been repeatedly denied injury data from state officials. Until now.
According to newly-obtained state records, at least 3,208 greyhound injuries have been reported at this track since 2005, and nearly 200 dogs have died. Further, it’s likely that the actual number of injuries is even higher, as the state still refuses to produce several months of records.
This is a staggering and sad example of the cruelty of greyhound racing. While we have documented severe injury problems at other dog tracks in the past, this is the most severe injury problem we have discovered to date.
Please watch the video we are releasing today, which includes several of the fatal injuries sustained by greyhounds at Tri-State Racetrack in recent years. Also, read the groundbreaking story on this development that was published on the front page today in the Charleston Daily Mail.
Please join us in signing the petition to inform Governor Tomblin of this cruelty.
- West Virginia Governor
I am writing to ask that support an end to dog racing in West Virginia.
According to state records and injury videos released by national greyhound protection group, GREY2K USA, thousands of dogs have been injured while racing just over the past five years. Greyhounds are injured on a daily basis and reported injuries included broken legs, paralysis and death by cardiac arrest.
• Over 3,200 injuries were reported at Mardi Gras from the beginning of 2005 until the end of 2010,
an average of about 1.4 injuries per day.
• At least 159 dogs suffered injuries that were so severe they had to be euthanized, at least another 7 died as a result of illnesses contracted in kennels.
• More than 300 of the injuries were listed as “career-ending,” meaning that the injured dog was never able to race again.
• 750 of the injuries reflected in the records were broken bones.
• Over 13 months’ worth of data is missing from the state’s records so even these numbers are not complete.
I ask that you support any measure to prohibit dog racing in your state. Greyhound racing is a cruel
tradition whose time has passed and West Virginia should join the majority of states that have long
outlawed this activity. For more information, please go to www.GREY2KUSA.org.
Thank you for your consideration and please use your power to help the greyhounds.
GREY2K USA Worldwide started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,584 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.