End the 412 Tolls
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
- Highway 412 is the only north-south 400 series highway in the entire Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area that is tolled.
- This highway Link was imposed over the wishes of Whitby Council in the 1990s. The issue of tolling was not part those discussions. The decision by the Province to toll 412 was made in 2009.
- This Link has taken an enormous quantity of valuable land to create an underutilized highway which adds virtually no value to our Town and Region. At the same time the Province was imposing tolls on 412 in Whitby, they were adding new lane kilometres to Highway 427 which are not tolled.
- A toll free 412 would reduce congestion across town by helping residents going west to access the 407 more efficiently. This would have an additional benefit of relieving traffic pressure from the 401 and in Downtown Whitby and support our goal of making it pedestrian friendly and comfortable.
- The Town of Whitby is delivering services to the employment lands located along the 412. The economic value of those prestige industrial lands is related to their exposure. The low utilization of a tolled 412 degrades the value and marketability of those lands. The Province owns most of these lands and are losing substantial value on them in exchange for the minimal revenue being received through tolls.
We, the undersigned, call upon the Provincial Government to end tolling on Highway 412.
Today: End the 412 Tolls is counting on you
End the 412 Tolls needs your help with “End the 412 Tolls”. Join End the 412 Tolls and 2,455 supporters today.