Let's end size & physical appearance discrimination in BC today!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
My name is Cheryl-Ann Webster and I am an artist and educator residing in Victoria, BC.
Today I need your help. I am advocating to have size and physical appearance added to the British Columbia Human Rights Act as protected categories against discrimination. In other words, we need to end body-shaming today and we need the BC government to help us make this happen. As an artist and community activist I witness everyday the way in which negative body image impacts people of all walks of life.
As a high-school drop out with no place to call home, I learned pretty early on what low self esteem felt and looked like as a kid. It wasn’t until people saw me for who I was and who I wanted to be without judgement that I began on a journey towards positive self esteem. Fast forward to today and I am the award-winning founder and creator of the family-friendly Beautiful Women Project – 120 life-size clay sculptures of women ages 19-91 each decorated to reflect an aspect of the woman’s life journey. Beautiful Women Project is an art installation accompanied by presentations promoting body confidence while raising awareness of the impact of body-shaming. My Beautiful Women Project has been showcased in 12 communities with over 70 thousand visitors since 2006 and it’s primary goal has been to help promote health living, the acceptance of natural beauty and to highlight the crucial link between body image and self-esteem which impacts people at all ages and stages of life.
The reality is many women, men and children do not feel “good enough” because they are often being measured by unrealistic body standards. These standards often create situations where people are treated differently at work or school because of their physical difference. Regardless of our size, weight, height or any other type of physical difference we may have, we should all have the right to live in the skin we are in without fear of discrimination or exclusion.
Please help me send a message to the BC Government today: We need to end size and physical appearance discrimination and we need to include these two categories as protected grounds in our human rights code.
By SIGNING and SHARING this petition TODAY you are taking a stand against body-based discrimination. THANK YOU!
For more information on these issues:
- Is Height Discrimination the Latest HR Concern? http://www.hrmonline.ca/hr-news/is-height-discrimination-the-latest-hr-concern-177035.aspx
- Ontario Human Rights Code Policy on Height & Weight Requirements http://www.ohrc.on.ca/sites/default/files/attachments/Policy_on_height_and_weight_requirements.pdf
- Making Sizeism Illegal in Canada. https://this.org/2016/10/18/why-canada-must-make-sizeism-illegal/
- Rally to End Weight Discrimination http://winnipeg.carpediem.cd/events/1766988-rally-to-end-weight-discrimination-at-manitoba-legislative-building/?mode=modal
- According to a study conducted by a team of researchers from the US, Canada, Australia and Iceland, published in Pediatric Obesity https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26149218, weight-based bullying in children and youth is the most prevalent form of youth bullying in these countries, exceeding by a substantial margin other forms of bullying including race/ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion. Resource: http://www.drsharma.ca/weight-based-bullying-is-the-most-common-form-of-bullying-in-youth
Today: Cheryl Ann is counting on you
Cheryl Ann Webster needs your help with “END SIZE & PHYSICAL APPEARANCE DISCRIMINATION IN BC”. Join Cheryl Ann and 1,006 supporters today.