Get toxic chemicals out of our classrooms!

0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!


The most widely used cleaning supply in our classrooms are Clorox wipes. Most classroom supply lists have at least 2 canisters per child! NY, MA, and districts in CO (I'm sure there are more that haven't made Google yet) have all banned disinfecting wipes from schools. And it's no wonder, look....

For every chemical there is a material data safety sheet (MSDS) that tells you of the dangers of that chemical. I looked up the MSDS for the active ingredient in Clorox wipes and here is what it says. Do you want your child exposed to this daily?

  • Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Hazardous in case of skin
    contact (corrosive), of eye contact (corrosive). The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can
    result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Severe over-exposure can
    produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and
    itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally, blistering.
  • Potential Chronic Health Effects:
    MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female, Reproductive system/toxin/male [POSSIBLE]. The substance may be toxic to kidneys, liver, heart, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.  Repeated skin exposure can produce local skin destruction, or dermatitis.

And if that isn't bad enough, this is straight from a container of wipes...

  • They are hazardous to humans and domestic animals (I'm sure wild animals wouldn't be safe from them either)

  • They are not supposed to be used by children

  • If the surface is dirty, you have to clean it with something else first

  • A surface has to remain visibly wet for 4 minutes before it's effective

  • You have to wash your hands after using

  • If a surface is going to have food touch it, you have to rinse the surface with water after using the wipe

Let's do better for our kids! Please sign if you want to remove these harmful chemicals from your child's classroom. 

I propose each child's family is asked for $5 donation to be put towards a safer alternative rather than asked to provide the toxic wipes. The EPA recommends microfiber as a safe and effective alternative. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-08/documents/fact_sheet_whats_so_great_about_microfiber.pdf



Today: Jennifer is counting on you

Jennifer Smyers needs your help with “Elizabeth School District: Get toxic chemicals out of our classrooms!”. Join Jennifer and 34 supporters today.