A male student at Harrison High School was banned from being a member of the cross country team because of the length of his hair; he was not allowed to compete his entire freshman year. The school changed the rule which allows students to wear a "headband" to comply. He is competing as an athlete in his sophomore year.
The hair length rule is still in the handbook though -- and should be eliminated completely.
The issues with this rule are as follows:
* In a recent Indiana court decision -- it was determined that hair length rules for male athletes only are in violation of the Federal Equal Protection Law
* No contemporary relevance -- outdated
* not a rule with any other school in our conference -- or any other school that we could find
* The purpose is unacceptable -- the purpose is to "ensure that our student athletes represent Harrison High School in a manner that is acceptable to our coaches, administration, and community"
Rule in Question – Harrison High School Athletic Handbook – page 4 – Responsibilities…be a credit to your parents, the school, and the community.
Keep yourself neat, clean, and presentable at all times.
* Hair for males – must be kept at a length so that no more than ½ of the ear is covered. Hair must be cut so that it is off the collar and out of the eyes. Head bands may be used to make the hair meet these requirements. Hair styles are not to bring undue attention to the athlete.
Additional Information for Clarification
* This petition focuses on one rule in the HHS Athletic Handbook -- the "hair length" rule for athletes.
* TSC is a high quality school system. Burnett Creek Elementary and Battle Ground Middle Schools have incredibly talented and caring teachers and administrators. Harrison High School is also a great school. No complaints about TSC, BCE, BGMS or HHS.
* This is NOT an attack on the school corporation, school, coaches or the administrators.
* The student in question was not informed about the “long-hair” rule in middle school, in any high school orientation or high school athletic meeting.
* This movement is for positive change intended to strengthen the school system.
Will you please stand in our corner -- sign and share this petition.
“Be the change you wish to see” ~Mahatma Gandhi
PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS FOCUSED ON THE TOPIC OF THE PETITION. ALL INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS -- ESPECIALLY THOSE ATTACKING INDIVIDUALS -- WILL BE DELETED AND REPORTED TO CHANGE.ORG. THANKS.
- Tippecanoe School Board of Trustees & TSC Superintendent
Eliminate "Hair Length" Rule for Athletes
Pablo Malavenda started this petition with a single signature, and now has 639 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.