Eastern Illinois University: Stand with Survivors of Sexual Assault
This petition had 646 supporters
1 in 6 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. These are women not only in our lives but on our campus. Eastern Illinois University has had a disappointing record with sexual assault survivors and reporting on campus. It is time that Eastern Illinois University join the survivors and make a public statement supporting those who need it.
Recently Eastern Illinois University has had a survivor chalk out, "MY RAPIST STILL GOES HERE. WILL NO ONE LISTEN TO ME?" The University not only erased the message, but later stated it was because the chalk around campus was looking "trashy" and needed to be cleaned. Eastern has yet to publish a campus wide statement besides a quick message from the VP of Student Affairs on the University facebook page.
Survivors deserve more. EIU's campus must be better than that.
• Anonymous reporting needs to be a more precise experience and at the very least a possibility for survivors of sexual assault.
• The procedures for reporting need to be streamlined and easy.
• A full time paid victim’s advocate on campus
• An open forum should be held where students, staff, community members and those invested in the support of sexual assault survivors can attend
• President Perry needs to make a public statement standing for the support of sexual assault survivors.
• Training of everyone included in the reporting process, including but not limited to – housing staff, department chairs, police, student standards, and faculty.
Today: Jennifer is counting on you
Jennifer Hindes needs your help with “Eastern Illinois University: Stand with Survivors of Sexual Assault”. Join Jennifer and 645 supporters today.