Parents Call For Restructuring of East Wake Academy Board of Directors
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Parents calling for restructuring of the East Wake First Charter (East Wake Academy) board of directors.
Our community has lost faith and trust in the East Wake Academy Board of Directors and are asking for support in calling for the restructure of the EWA board. The current EWA board has failed time after time to listen to parent concerns regarding administration which has resulted in a significant loss of well respected, veteran teachers as well as damage to the reputation of our school. Parents feel the requests being made are reasonable and require few changes to the board policy and/or bylaws. We request the following items:
• 4 year terms with a two consecutive term limit.
• Maximum of 2 board members who are community members but not EWA parents.
• We would like to see the board open up the additional two seats for a total of 9 board members. Ideally we would like to have parents who are dues paying members of an EWA group (PAL, Boosters, etc) elect a parent representative. We would also like to see teachers nominate and elect a teacher representative for the other open seat (this person couldn't be a current teacher - would have to be a former teacher, parent, community member who teachers trust and elect).
• We recognize and appreciate the contributions of our long serving board members, but we would ask that Mr. Ausley step down and accept the role of Board Member Emeritus. Mr. Ausley and any other Emeritus member may be invited each year for input at the EWA Board retreat and for counsel as needed during the year.
• Recognizing the contributions of Mr. Lester, we would ask that he accept the role of Board Member Emeritus at the conclusion of his current term.
• Transparency in board elections: allow parents to learn about those who are running for seats ahead of time including who they were nominated by (or if they are running on their own) even if we are unable to vote for the seat. These individuals represent EWA and parents should know who they are.
• Children of board members should no longer receive priority in the lottery, and should go through the general lottery in order to attend EWA.
• Better communication from the board regarding meetings. Parents ask that the agenda for upcoming board meetings to be posted a minimum of 5 business days in advance and for board meeting minutes to be distributed to parents via email by administration within 7 days of the board meeting.
Over 200 parents expressed outrage over the loss of our teachers and failure of the EWA board to oversee the leadership of EWA. The current EWA board contains a “voting block” of four individuals who refuse to acknowledge any issues, provide basic information or resolutions to current problems. Parents find this unacceptable and are asking for your help. Please sign this petition and let the current EWA Board of Directors know that our community demands better. Our hope is to see a board that is unbiased, focused on making real efforts to improve the current culture and a better representation of our school values as a whole.
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!