Stop the housing development on public open space to fund the Gurnell Redevelopment
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
This is a petition to register our objection ad lack of support for the proposed high density housing development on public open space to fund the redevelopment of Gurnell Leisure Centre.
Some of the reasons for our objections are set out below:
- the sell-off of public land and use of an enabling private housing development;
- the size/height of the proposed housing development;
the lack of social and genuinely affordable housing in the proposed development;
- the lack of involvement of local residents in the initial vision and specification for the leisure centre;
- the lack of consultation with local residents prior to alternatives being ruled out for the upgrade of the leisure centre, and the timeline decided;
- the failure of the Council to adopt a competitive procurement process to ensure best value for the community in an open and transparent procedure;
- the lack of infrastructure (schools/NHS/A40 access/parking/etc) to cope with the projected numbers of extra people the housing development will bring;
- the disruption that will be caused for at least 2 years while construction of the leisure centre takes place, and an unspecified amount of time for the housing development.
We feel the Council has failed to consider other alternatives which would better benefit the community. The council could instead spend the £12m they are contributing on refitting the current leisure centre, rather than sell off our public land to this housing developer.
Approval by Ealing Council would deny best practise in public consultation and bring the Ealing planning system into disrepute, setting a dangerous precedent.
- For the council to abandon the current proposals.
- For the Planning Committee to refuse the planning application.
- For the council to properly consult with the community on a Neighbourhood Plan to ensure the community has a leading role in the redevelopment of Gurnell Leisure Centre and the use of open land in this and the wider neighbourhood.
Today: Ailis is counting on you
Ailis Gavan needs your help with “Ealing Council: Stop the housing development on public open space to fund the Gurnell Redevelopment”. Join Ailis and 571 supporters today.