Reject the opening of the Scottish Prison Service Community Custody Care Unit in Coldside
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Since the announcement in September of a national Custody Care Unit being located in Dundee, no full public consultation has taken place to identify a preferred site. Information from planning partners and media coverage has shown that Rosebank Primary School within Coldside has been earmarked as a potential site.
A preliminary community engagement exercise was conducted with the support of the Coldside Community to gauge the strength of feeling amongst residents and local businesses alike. An immediate petition of 300+ signatures showed immediate resistance to the Scottish Prison Service proposals. The main concerns from residents were:-
• Current over provision of similar facilities such as supported accomodation, drug rehabilitation services, womens refuge, homeless unit and a high percentage of ‘network flats’ already located in Coldside.
• Stigma attached to the perception of the Coldside Ward as a ‘dumping ground’ for such facilities within Dundee.
• Goes against the ethos of Dundee City Councils regeneration intentions, with the site in question previously earmarked for housing (which has been publicised on the Dundee City Council website).
• Local businesses are eager for housing development to lesson the economic impact currently being felt.
• Current high levels of crime and disorder as well as drug misuse will continue.
In addition it is important to question the potential impact of placing females who may already experience chaotic personal/family situations in an area which may exacerbate their problems and hinder their rehabilitation.
The Coldside Ward has above average statistics in relation to drug related crime and activity as well as acquisitive crime compared to other council wards areas within Dundee.
We support the identification of an alternative site within Dundee away from a recognised council regeneration area.
Today: Tom is counting on you
Tom Henney needs your help with “Dundee City Council: Reject the opening of the Scottish Prison Service Community Custody Care Unit in Coldside”. Join Tom and 236 supporters today.