Numbers of food allergic children are growing at an alarming rate. Nearly six million children have a known food allergy. Many children have their first reaction at school. We need to provide a safe environment for these students. Peanut allergy is the most common food allergy, followed by milk and shellfish. A child can have a life threatening reaction merely by inhaling or touching an allergen. Schools should not be using the allergens in the classroom for projects, snacks or celebration parties.
There is no cure for food allergies. Total avoidance of the allergen is the only means to prevent allergic reactions. The school administrators' need to address and be robust in providing a policy to keep our children safe. The possibility of a tragic event must be eliminated NOW.