Treat all American children born abroad equally!

0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!

When an American child is born abroad, you must file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  Typically, the child's name on the consular birth report matches the name on the local birth certificate. This is problematic for children born in countries that do not use a Latin alphabet. In this situation, the Department of State allows the parents to choose an English name for their child even if it doesn't match what is on the local birth certificate.  However, for children born in mainland China this is not the case.  An American child born in mainland China can not have an English name. However an American child born in Japan can have an English name without regard to what's on the local birth certificate. 

The Department of State has a different policy just for American children born in mainland China.

The policy for Japan is addressed here:

It states:

Affidavit of Child’s Name

If you would like your child’s name in the U.S. to be different from your child’s Japanese name, please use this form (Download here). For example: The Japanese birth certificate might show “Tomoko Sato” but you wish the U.S. Consular Report of Birth to show “Sarah Tomoko Jones.”

The policy for China is addressed here:

It states:

Please Note: the name of your child that will appear on form FS-240 Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) must match exactly the name on the official birth certificate. Phonetic Romanization of Chinese characters is acceptable.

To have two different policies is discriminatory.  The only solution is to have one policy for all American children born abroad.  All Americans should be treated equally under the law.

Today: J.G. is counting on you

J.G. Hicks needs your help with “Donald Trump: Treat all American children born abroad equally!”. Join J.G. and 16 supporters today.