Prevent President Trump from repealing the Clean Power Plan
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
As many of us have heard, President-elect Donald Trump does not believe in climate change, calling it an “expensive hoax”. As a testament to his ignorance on environmental matters, he has promised to do the following as president:
- withdraw from, or “renegotiate”, the Paris Agreement, a worldwide effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- dismantle the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as evidenced by appointing Myron Ebell, a climate change skeptic, to lead the EPA’s transition team
- remove regulations that protect our drinking water from fracking and coal mining
- renew permits to complete the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, both of which would create irreparable harm to citizens and the environment should an oil spill occur
- repeal the Clean Power Plan, which aims to cut the amount of smog emitted from power plants while moving the nation towards clean, renewable energy
Though all would have drastic ramifications on our health as Americans as well as the environment’s, this petition focuses on the last. Should the Clean Power Plan be blocked by President Trump, a number of consequences can occur, including but not limited to:
- increased cases of health problems, such as COPD, lung cancer, asthma, and spina bifida (malformation of the spinal column in babies), as already seen in areas of concentrated smog
- lose jobs in the renewable energy sector that could put countless Americans to work towards a more sustainable future
- failure to meet commitments according to the Paris Agreement. The U.S. is a world leader in battling climate change, and not meeting our own promise would encourage other nations to do the same
- environmental effects, such as the accelerated melting of glaciers, increased number of droughts, increased strength of hurricanes, and the destruction of numerous species’ habitats
- a legacy of environmental indifference passed on to future generations
We, the undersigned, demand an increased level of environmental mindfulness from Mr. Trump, as failure to understand the consequences will result in an unrecoverable setback to much-needed progress years in the making.
We understand that the harm of Mr. Trump’s planned actions on us and future generations far outweigh the benefits.
We call on President Trump to NOT repeal the Clean Power Plan.
More information on the Clean Power Plan can be found here:
Today: Andrew is counting on you
Andrew Chen needs your help with “Donald Trump: Prevent President Trump from repealing the Clean Power Plan”. Join Andrew and 117 supporters today.