Demand: Donald Trump Use MLA Citation to Back Up Claims
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
According to many political pundits, the United States has entered a "Post-truth Era" caused by the growing refutation of the credibility of major media outlets, scientific organizations, government agencies, etc. in the public sphere. The root cause of the recent blur of facts and false claims stems from our nation's chief executive.
Several examples of baseless claims made in past months by President Donald Trump include but are not limited to:
- 3 to 5 million votes were cast illegally in the 2016 election cycle by illegal immigrants, people registered in multiple states, and committers of voter fraud.
- The crowd observing the January 20th, 2017 Presidential Inauguration was the largest of all time.
- The media has repeatedly covered up instances of terrorism in the United States.
- Barack Obama purposely wiretapped Trump Tower to engage in political espionage.
- The employment data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is inaccurate.
The truth is important in a democracy. Without it, voters make real decisions with wide-ranging consequences based on false premises and assumptions. One way to return the state of the national political discussion back to credible grounds is to require politicians, media professionals, government employees, and even private citizens to cite their sources when they make a claim.
The Modern Language Association (MLA) periodically publishes guidelines for scholars and researchers to accurately cite the source of their facts. Using MLA citation standards, individuals reveal to their audience the credibility of their argument. The audience can then see whether or not the source that a person uses is meritorious.
Please sign this petition if you wish to see a swift return back to a political climate where truth is valued and where no claim goes unproven for the sake of democracy.
Today: Brandon is counting on you
Brandon Bleyer needs your help with “Donald Trump: Demand: Donald Trump Use MLA Citation to Back Up Any Claims”. Join Brandon and 91 supporters today.