Don’t Sponsor Hate: Women’s March Leaders Must Resign
0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
We demand that all sponsors of Women's March Inc. remove their sponsorship until the organization's current leadership is replaced by leaders who are not affiliated with and do not defend those associated with any organization classified as a hate group. Sponsors and/or partners include Planned Parenthood, SPLC, ACLU, and Emily’s List.
- Now more than ever, women need to unite against hate. The Women’s March, Inc. organization has become an essential part of the feminist movement. As feminists, we are passionate about the force behind this movement and its significance. More than 2.6 million people participated in what was the largest protest in US history on January 21, 2017. We built it. We should decide who steers it. We are aware that many separate grassroots groups participated on that day who are not connected to Tamika Mallory, Linda Sarsour, Bob Bland, or Carmen Perez. However, the march itself was organized under the umbrella of Women’s March, Inc. and we must purge it of hate.
- President of Women's March DC, Mercy Morganfield released the following statement on March 10, 2018: “If the actions of our leaders are not aligned with the Unity Principles, then the leaders should reassess their leadership roles in Women’s March and the greater women’s rights movement.”
- Leaders of an organization which, according to its Unity Principles, claims to “believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights” MUST NOT support or defend those who support someone like Louis Farrakhan, who is not only a rabid anti-semite but also has a history of misogyny, homophobia and transphobia.
- Recently, we have become aware of three of these four Women’s March, Inc. leaders’ reprehensible affiliations with the Nation of Islam and Louis Farrakhan.
- Upon receiving backlash regarding the Women’s March co-President Tamika Mallory’s recent attendance at a Farrakhan rally where she personally received a shout-out, co-President Bob Bland, along with treasurers Carmen Perez and Linda Sarsour have been defensive of Mallory.
- All four leaders will not directly condemn Farrakhan’s extremely anti-semitic speech or disavow any relationship with him.
- Mallory, Sarsour, and Perez have publicly praised and been photographed with Farrakhan; Mallory has admitted to attending Farrakhan’s hate-filled speeches for the past thirty years, including this year.
- We have yet to hear from the Women’s March, Inc. sponsors listed below in regards to funding an organization run by leaders who are morally bankrupt. How can SPLC sponsor an organization made up of leaders who are affiliated with the Nation of Islam, which SPLC classifies as a hate group? It’s time for these sponsors to take a stand and separate themselves from an organization that has been tainted by hate. Until these leaders step aside and allow new leaders to take their place, sponsorship should be removed.
- We demand to have true leaders who believe in all women’s rights; perhaps Mercy Morganfield, who has proven to be a truly inclusive leader (see above), would be a good candidate.
Many feminists refused to join the Women’s March because they did not feel comfortable with the current leadership. Now, Women’s March participants also no longer feel represented by this organization due to the behavior of its current leadership. We, as supporters of women’s rights, donated to this organization, promoted it, and went on to march once again on January 20, 2018.
We REFUSE to march behind leaders who support an open anti-Semite.
We REFUSE to march behind leaders who defend those affiliated with an open anti-Semite.
We DEMAND new leadership.
“That the group refuses to be accountable for a high-level alliance with an open anti-Semite disqualifies it from ranking among today’s movements for social justice.”
“A liberation ideology that rests on the demonization of other marginalized groups should be, and is, unacceptable to most contemporary activist movements....Mallory’s unwillingness to see Farrakhan for what he is will surely cost the entire Women’s March organization its credibility among many Jewish people, LGBTQ people, and those who see themselves as allies to those communities.”
“If the Women’s March continues to count [Mallory] as a leader, the organization deserves to fail.”
Please sign this petition & reach out to any of these 550 organizations and insist that they terminate their sponsorship of the Women’s March, Inc. until new leadership is in place.
These sponsors include:
Natural Resource Defense Council
American Federation of Teachers
Human Rights Campaign
Peace is Loud
Jews for Racial & Economic Justice
Southern Poverty Law Center
Today: Tali is counting on you
Tali Goldsheft needs your help with “Don’t sponsor hate: Women’s March Leaders Must Resign! #WomensMarchLeadersResign @splcenter @MoveOn @PPact @ACLU”. Join Tali and 1,634 supporters today.