- Vladimir Putin and Barack ObamaPresident of Russia and President the United States of America
- cc: G8 LeadersGovernments of France, Italy, Germany, UK, Japan, Canada
- cc: Lakhdar BrahimiUnited Nations and League of Arab States Envoy on Syria
Don’t let Syria down
“My name is Liqaa’. I had to flee from Syria and leave behind my home, my family, my life. I am eight months pregnant and live with my husband in Zaatari refugee camp. Our children are crying for peace, but I don’t want mine to have to cry for it. We’ve shed enough tears and blood already. What we need is an end to the suffering. That is my dream.”
Politicians pledged to help find a political solution to the Syria crisis back in May – but the peace talks they promised have been delayed. At the G8 Summit in Northern Ireland, world leaders re-committed to this but did not put a clear timeframe in place.
Please urge President Obama and President Putin to put their differences aside, and throw their political weight behind making the peace talks a reality, and a success. As organizers of the peace talks, the Presidents must work together with all parties to the conflict to urgently finalise a timeline. Failure to do so will mean yet more bloodshed and suffering for millions of Syrians.
The conflict has already claimed at least 93,000 lives. The number of people just like Liqaa’ who are fleeing violence and needing humanitarian aid is rising every day.
There will be no end to the suffering unless real progress is made soon.
1. Russian President Vladimir Putin, US President Barack Obama and UN/League of Arab States Envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi must use their political influence to get all parties to the Syria conflict around the table for talks on finding a solution to this crisis.
2. For talks to be a success, they must include representatives of the peaceful majority of Syrians, including women’s groups and refugees, who want this nightmare to end.
3. The talks should be backed unequivocally by the international community, who must refrain from any acts or statements which risk undermining them.
Meanwhile, world leaders must do everything they can to ensure that all people affected by the crisis can access the humanitarian aid they so urgently need.
Please sign our petition now. We’ll deliver this petition to President Putin and President Obama, copying it to the UN/LAS Envoy to Syria and G8 leaders, calling on them to work with all parties to the conflict to make the peace talks a success.
- President of Russia and President the United States of America
Vladimir Putin and Barack Obama
- Governments of France, Italy, Germany, UK, Japan, Canada
cc: G8 Leaders
- United Nations and League of Arab States Envoy on Syria
cc: Lakhdar Brahimi
Thank you for committing to organize a peace conference for Syria. However, I am writing to express my grave concern that these talks have not yet been scheduled. The people of Syria cannot wait any longer for an end to the fighting. Over 93, 000 people have been killed, millions have been displaced and are in desperate need of aid. The conflict is spreading, threatening the stability of the region.
For lasting peace to be achieved, the peace process should ensure equal representation from all sides in the conflict, involving men and women from all of Syria’s diverse communities, and including those who have already been forced to flee the country. In the mean time it is vital all sides make every effort to ensure people can access the humanitarian aid they need.
Please do everything you can to make the peace talks a reality, and a success.
Oxfam UK started this petition with a single signature, and now has 75,181 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.