Don't allow the commercialization of GOLDEN RICE!
This petition had 103 supporters
It will kill the livelihood of the millions of poor farmers, contaminate our food system and the environment, and could very likely result to illnesses and unpredictable side effects on humans.
Here are the reasons why Golden Rice should not be allowed for commercialization:
· Golden Rice has not been commercialized yet since it was made 20 years ago due to Health, Environmental and Social concerns raised by the international scientific community and civil society organizations
· But the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) and Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) in collaboration with the Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) of the Department of Agriculture, agrochemical giant Syngenta (the owner of Golden Rice), and pro-GMO lobby groups such as ISAAA, ASFARNET, PHilMaize and Biotechnology Coalition of the Philippines are aggressively pushing for the commercialization of Golden Rice this year
· The open field trial conducted in Camarines Sur, Nueva Ecija and Ilocos Norte is the last stage before commercialization
· The Bureau of Plant Industry which is supposed to regulate GMOs is even promoting for the commercialization of Golden Rice
· The Philippines is the first country in the whole world targeted for the commercialization of Golden Rice
· We Filipinos are the first people in the world to bear the risks and uncertainties associated with Golden Rice in large quantities because rice is our staple food. Are we experimental animals?
· No appropriate tests have ever been conducted on humans
· According to IRRI, PhilRice and BPI, tests will commence only after the Golden Rice is commercialized.
· Golden Rice is more dangerous than any other Genetically Modified Crops ever made. And just like other GMOs, it can never be retrieved back once it is released in the open environment.
· Golden Rice can contaminate our rice varieties, and will render useless the existence of the Organic Agriculture Program of the Philippines pursuant to RA 10068
· Golden Rice is not the solution to Vitamin A Deficiency (VAD) as there are very practical ways to combat VAD such as eating green leafy vegetables, food fortifications, and diversification of crops and diets
In the final analysis, the Golden Rice project is just another marketing strategy of the agrochemical corporations to tighten their grip on food and agriculture, so let’s not fall into their trap!
Today: masipag is counting on you
masipag mindanao needs your help with “Don't allow the commercialization of GOLDEN RICE!”. Join masipag and 102 supporters today.