Do Not Give Up on Democracy in Afghanistan!
Do Not Give Up on Democracy in Afghanistan!
Why this petition matters
We are a group of young non-partisan Afghans who have come together to raise our voices and the voices of our fellow countrymen and women in protest against tyranny, oppression, all forms of discrimination, and injustices in Afghanistan. We advocate peace and freedom– peace from direct and structural violence – freedom from fear and oppression- and all the internationally recognized human rights also ratified by Afghanistan.
The Council pursues the following objectives:
- Immediate cessation of violence and arbitrary arrests, detentions and executions by the Taliban and other armed terrorist groups, and their affiliates, in Afghanistan.
- Respect for principles of universally recognized human rights, social justice, and rule of law by the Taliban and other armed terrorist groups.
- Re-establishment of an independent, sovereign Afghanistan with territorial integrity and in full control of its domestic and foreign affairs.
- Creation of a democratic, pluralistic political system where Afghans of all identities (sex, religion, ethnicity) can equally participate through free and fair elections.
- Preservation and protection of Afghanistan’s critical infrastructure, natural resources, wildlife, and cultural heritage sites.
We believe that:
- Every Afghan, irrespective of gender, religion, sect, ethnicity, or any other status, is entitled to a dignified life where they enjoy freedom to express their thoughts and opinions.
- Every Afghan has the right to equal access to public services.
- Every Afghan has the right to education, and the freedom to choose their occupation.
- Arbitrary arrests, detentions and executions, are against human and Islamic norms. No Afghan shall be subjected to arbitrary persecution because of their gender, religion, sect, ethnicity, or any other status.
- Every Afghan has the right to participate in the government of Afghanistan, through free and fair elections.
To this end, the Council calls upon the Taliban and other armed terrorist groups to:
- Immediately bring an end to violence, lawlessness, arbitrary arrests, detentions and executions.
- Respect and uphold human rights and fundamental freedoms as granted and protected under the Islamic and international laws.
- Allow women and girls to exercise their right to education and all other socio-economic aspects of life.
- Agree on a political system where Afghans of all identities (gender, religion, sect, ethnicity) can equally participate through free and fair elections, and one that prioritizes meritocracy.
The Council calls upon the international community to:
- Encourage an inclusive political settlement among the Afghan warring parties to bring an end to tyranny and injustices
- Not give legitimacy to the totalitarian regime of Taliban by recognizing their authority as the new government of Afghanistan. Legitimacy should come from the people of Afghanistan, and ideally through the ballot box.
- Understand that the Taliban is only a minority faction of the society and that they have created a society of their own liking. One faction cannot represent the legitimate national will in Afghanistan.
- Recognize that instability in Afghanistan will have a downstream effect and will impact regional stability and the stability of the international community writ large, specifically through mass migration, and free flow of narcotics, and international terrorism.
- The people of Afghanistan must not pay the price for the Taliban actions. Sanctions should not punish ordinary Afghans but carefully target the Taliban leaders and operatives.
The Council calls upon fellow Afghans in the country and abroad to:
- Continue their non-violent resistance, and by signing this petition, join us in this movement to advocate the establishment of a democratic, pluralistic, and independent Afghanistan that is ruled by competent and accountable leaders and civil servants.
- Support social justice, equality, coexistence and tolerance for all people of Afghanistan.
- Support our efforts to ensure all laws, policies and regulations established by the Taliban are in line with and abide by the principles stated in this declaration.
The Council advocates non-violence resistance in words, thoughts and deeds. We believe that only we, the Afghan people, can bring an end to the decades of war, oppression, and injustice.
As we embark on this journey, we will recognize and always carry with us the memories of martyred innocent civilians and those who lost their lives in the line of duty fighting for a peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan.