- Steve JohnsonPR Director of Dixie State College
- Joan SmithPublications Specialist of Dixie State College
- Jared MadsenMarketing Coordinator of Dixie State College
Dixie State College: Take the word "Dixie" out.
Dixie State College is soon to become Dixie State University. however the word Dixie is strongly connected to the racist south and slavery. Over the years, the college has changed their mascot from the Rebels to the more appropriate Red Storm. However, the college has a racist history, some examples being the use of black face and the use of the Dixie Rebel as a mascot. The school needs to let go of that history as they become a university and become more accepting and diverse. Thus they need to take the racist "Dixie" out of the name of the school.
- PR Director of Dixie State College
- Publications Specialist of Dixie State College
- Marketing Coordinator of Dixie State College
Take the word "Dixie" out. It has negative implications and is very controversial. Many people in the immediate area surrounding Dixie State College might not find it offensive, but nationally it has the potential to draw negative attention. For the reputation and honor of the school, the word Dixie needs to be dropped.
Josh McCombs started this petition with a single signature. There is something we all care about. Start a petition today to create the change you want to see.