Protect MACPool against Argyll and Bute Council Cuts 2015
This petition had 560 supporters
Argyll and Bute Council Service Choices – What it means for MACPool
The Argyll and Bute Council consultation, ‘Planning our Future’, looks at a range of service cuts across all Council Services.
MACPool has looked through the proposed cuts to determine those affecting the operation of the Community Swimming Pool.
If the cuts go ahead it is likely that MACPool will face a budget shortfall of £17,000 in 2016/17 with consequences for all users of the Community Pool.
The cuts affecting MACPool;
- Removal Of Subsidy To Community Pools - £8,800
- Removal Of Non-Domestic Rate Discretionary Relief For Charities - £5,000
- Reductions within the Education Service - £3160*
Total Annual Cost to MACPool £16,960
*Could be significantly more
How these Cuts will affect YOU
1. Reduction in School Swimming;
- School Swimming is likely to be reduced and in some cases stop altogether
- In an area surrounded by water, MACPool does not think it is fair that parents should have to fund the cost of teaching a generation to swim
2. Increased Admission Fees;
- In order to plug the funding gap MACPool will be forced to increase the cost of admission and other services by as much as 50%
- MACPool does not think it is fair to pass the cost of the Council cuts on to pool users
- Nor is it sustainable to force admission prices substantially beyond those of swimming pool facilities within the ownership of the Local Authority
3. Reduction in Opening Hours;
- MACPool will be forced to introduce shorter opening hours with the resultant savings in staff, heating and lighting costs
- This reduction in service will have an impact on the health and wellbeing of communities across Mid Argyll
- MACPool does not think it is fair on our staff or on the community
So what can YOU do to help MACPool?
Argyll and Bute Council has some decisions to make about the cuts in service proposed. Not all of these cuts are needed to make the £26m of savings required.
To protect MACPool you can;
- Make representation through the Local Authority Consultation before the 18 December 2015 deadline; www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/planningourfuture
- Write to your local Argyll and Bute Councillor, MSP and MP using the letter templates on our facebook page
- Add your voice to the MACPool e-petition to lobby against the cuts
To discuss the proposed service cuts and their impact on MACPool talk to MACPool Manager, Graham love or contact a member of the Mid Argyll Community Enterprises (MACEL) Board. Details of the MACEL Board can be found on the website; www.macpool.org.uk/board
Today: GRAHAM is counting on you
GRAHAM LOVE needs your help with “email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org: Protect MACPool against Argyll and Bute Council Cuts 2015”. Join GRAHAM and 559 supporters today.