An Appeal to Stop Noise Pollution arising from Metro 3 work
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
The noisy metro construction work is proving to be a hazard to our health and peace of mind:
1) The MMRCL continues digging with the noisy machines at hours outside of normal work hours.
2) Even during regular hours the decibel levels of the machines are higher than the permitted decibel levels, which is unbearable to the human ear. (Citizens have recorded noise levels of 90 decibels and up at various times, even outside of assigned "working times" )
As per the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules 2000, the prescribed highest limit of noise levels for residential localities is 55 and 45 decibels (during the day and the night respectively), for silence zones the level is 50 and 40 decibels, respectively. For the industrial area, the permissible noise level is 75 and 70 and for commercial 65 and 55 decibels respectively.
3) Noise levels above the permissible levels, are continuing around residential and office areas, without concern to working people, senior citizens, or children. Not to mention this in addition to increased traffic noise, caused due to the increase in vehicular traffic due to metro construction work.
4) The noise pollution caused by the machines used by MMRCL, (which promised to be high-tech with reduced noise emissions), are causing great distress and mental trauma to citizens around the metro construction areas.
5) Studies have proven that human functionality reduces with increased noise level.
'Even relatively low levels of noise can adversely affect the quality of life; hypertension, disrupted sleep, hindered cognitive development in children, while extreme effects include deafness, loss of memory and psychiatric disorders'- Noise Pollution- Sources, Effects and Control by N.Singh and S.C. Davar
Today: Citizens against Pollution is counting on you
Citizens against Pollution needs your help with “Devendra Fadnavis: An Appeal to Stop Noise Pollution arising from Metro 3 work”. Join Citizens against Pollution and 118 supporters today.