Designate at least 10 priority seats for persons with disabilities, pregnant women, persons with children, and elderly on public buses.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500!
It was New Year’s Eve, I was going home. Most buses were full. I managed to get a fifth row seat on one bus. The first two rows were already taken.
A young man, maybe mid 20’s, boarded the bus, but did not find a vacant seat. He wore a white shirt and light-colored jeans. He’s a PWD carrying a crutch in his right arm.
The bus was full and people were standing on the aisle when an old lady came up, her arms full of paper backs. Since the first rows were already taken, she stood near the third row. An old man boarded and stood in front, near the driver. There was a Senior Citizen/PWD sticker posted on the left window of the front row. Adults in their prime, men and women, occupied these seats.
Nobody stood up to give them their seats neither did the bus driver and bus conductor said something.
The two senior citizens stood for almost 2 hours. It was New Year’s Eve, and traffic was heavier.
My parents are both senior citizens. Like me, they take public transportation. I don’t want them to experience the same thing. And I hope your parents and grandparents will not suffer the same.
That is why I decided to write this petition. Together, we can push DOTC, LTFRB and public bus companies to:
1. Make it a habit to prioritize, help and assist the senior citizens, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, and passengers with children to be seated in front and allot at least the first two rows for them.
2. Create more visible signs inside the bus and bus terminals that will help raise public awareness for the needs of the senior citizens and PWD, pregnant women, and passengers with children.
3. Help change public misconception that they can occupy these seats. These seats are allotted for the senior citizens, PWD, pregnant women and passengers with children. These seats should always be reserved and vacated.
And since I’m already suggesting improvements that can be implemented by LTFRB and bus companies, I have listed a few more below.
4. Bus drivers and bus conductors should always wear a uniform. They are professionals who are servicing the public, and should be presentable.
5. Put a trash can in front, beside the bus driver. And post signage where the passengers should throw their trash.
For the National Council on Disability Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org and Office for Senior Citizens Affairs
1.Help raise public awareness that these seats allotted for them should be vacated.
Suggestion: Create an on-line video contest that will help promote these, post the videos in youtube and social networking sites and get more attention by contacting on-line celebrities that will help with the promotion.
These are all that I can think of right now, I know there are a lot more improvements that can be made to assist the needs of the senior citizens, PWD, pregnant women and passengers with children as they ride the bus. If you can think of more, please feel free to comment below and add you suggestions.
Let’s make the world a better place for them.
Today: Cat is counting on you
Cat Baloloy needs your help with “Designate at least 10 priority seats for persons with disabilities, pregnant women, persons with children, and elderly on public buses.”. Join Cat and 6,963 supporters today.