Save Sharks from the Verge of Extinction to Ban Shark's Fin Products and Delicacies.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 10,000!
Every year tens of millions of sharks die a slow death because of finning. Finning is the inhumane practice of hacking off the shark’s fins and throwing its still living body back into the sea. The sharks either starve to death, are eaten alive by other fish, or drown (if they are not in constant movement their gills cannot extract oxygen from the water). Shark fins are being “harvested” in greater numbers to feed the growing demand for shark fin soup, an Asian “delicacy”. (Source: http://www.stopsharkfinning.net/help-stop-shark-finning/)
Sharks are being driven to the brink of extinction due to a huge increase in demand for their fins over the last 20 years or so.
Reasons why we should not eat Sharks:
1.) Shark fins are harvested through a barbaric process known as shark finning.
- They are dumped back into the ocean and are left to die an excruciating death. Without their fins, they cannot swim properly, they cannot catch prey for food, they cannot defend themselves, and they cannot get oxygen, as water needs to be forced through their gills as they swim.
2.) Many shark species are on the brink of extinction.
- Many species of sharks are currently in danger due to shark finning, including the scalloped hammerhead, which is endangered, and the smooth hammerhead, which is vulnerable.
3.) Shark fins have no proven medicinal value.
- There is no accepted scientific evidence that shark fin provides any medicinal or health benefit. In fact, studies show that shark has among the highest levels of mercury and other dangerous toxins found in fish.
4.) Shark fins are expensive.
- Shark fins are tempting targets for fisher men because they have high monetary and cultural value.
5.) Don’t eat shark’s fin.
- Don’t patronize restaurants that serve the dish. Very often people are unaware of the effect that their eating habits have on the environment.
Your support will put pressure to our national and local government of the Philippines to make an immediate solution to end restaurants from serving shark’s fin products and delicacies. We aim to start a good example of global unity to protect the sharks from the verge of extinction so that the rest of the sharks can produce and balance its population to achieve conservation and become environmentally sustainable.
- “Before I became vegan, I considered myself a compassionate person, and yet I was funding a violent industry that kills millions of animals a day. Today, I still consider myself a compassionate person, but now that compassion is reflected in my everyday behavior.” –Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- “We have more to learn from animals than animals have to learn from us.” –Anthony Douglas Williams
- “At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and injustice he is the worst.” -Aristotle
Your VOTE can truly make a difference in saving sharks from the verge of extinction with your support and share this call for change to your family and friends.
Visit http://business.inquirer.net/225982/turning-away-shark-fin-soup for more information.
Today: Justine Arriola & is counting on you
Justine Arriola & Smiley Cajumban needs your help with “Department of Food and Drugs: Save Sharks from the Verge of Extinction to Ban Shark's Fin Products and Delicacies.”. Join Justine Arriola & and 9,798 supporters today.