Stop teaching religion in schools
This petition had 33 supporters
1. To give religion a place in education is impractical, because in school there are children from various religious groups. Then what religion to be followed in religious education in schools? Following of a particular religion in schools will create differences in people and all of them will defect from cooperating with the school efforts.
2. Sermons are particularly emphasized in religious education. The behaviors of children in schools may be quite opposite to these. In fact, for improvement of their character, desirable environment is more necessary than religious sermons.
3. Investigations have revealed that there may not be -any correlation between knowledge and behavior. In religion education, ‘knowledge’ rather than ‘behavior’ is emphasized. This may imply that one may obtain the knowledge but may behave in an opposite manner.
4. The discussion about evils and virtues and about divine punishment and reward is likely to create such a conflict in the minds of children which may impede their moral development to present an evaluation of a particular religion before children will go against social values.
5. The school children do not possess such a reasoning power as to understand the subtle meaning of various religions. A common teacher cannot impart religious education because it is difficult for him to be impartial in interpreting things.
It is very necessary to adopt a scientific and impartial attitude about a religion. But this is extremely difficult because this attempt shakes one’s own convictions and faith. Therefore a common teacher is unfit for giving religions education.
But if a particular teacher is appointed for imparting religious education, he is not likely to come in close contact with children and relate religious education with life of children. Because of this inadequacy religious education will be reduced to a pure ‘sermon’ which will make no impact on children.
6. The main purpose of religion is to bind man into the bond of love and sympathy. But in fact, religion has worked against this ideal in actual practice. Many battles have been fought in the name of religion and thousands of persons have been fought in the name of religion and thousands of persons have been mercilessly slaughtered.
Thus in the name of religion people have seen mutual enmity, communal bitterness, and intolerance. Under such a situation to give a place to religion in education will amount to encouraging these evils in children.
7. Religion is a matter of personal experience. An individual likes to worship God according to his own faith and beliefs. Therefore it is not proper to give religious education to school children in a group. Now we shall hint onwards at arguments forwarded by supporters of religious education in schools
Today: William is counting on you
William Traynor needs your help with “Department of Education: Stop teaching religion in schools”. Join William and 32 supporters today.