Make the Postgraduate Loan fully inclusive of all courses, fees and living costs.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
The £10,000 Postgraduate Loan is not enough to support a student through Postgraduate study. It is an arbitrary sum of money which does not take into consideration the cost of tuition fees, the cost of living, or a student's individual financial needs.
Many universities are now charging up to £9,500 per year to study on a postgraduate course, and postgraduate courses range from 1, 2 or 3 years long. The current £10,000 on offer from the government is currently not enough to pay for the tuition fees alone for many young people wishing to further their studies. The arbitrary amount of £10,000 does not even begin to take into consideration the total living costs that students face, such as rent, food, travel and other expenses. As it stands, postgraduate study in not accessible for the majority of students from normal families. This is why I ask that the postgraduate loan is changed, and has the same structure as the current Undergraduate Loan.
Change the Postgraduate Loan to the following:
- Has two strands of funding, tuition fee loan and maintenance loan
- The total loan given to a student is based on family earnings or the student's personal financial situation, and is not a lump sum amount which is the same for all
- Sufficient funding for both tuition fees and maintenance fees are offered for each year of study
- The Postgraduate Loan is inclusive of all postgraduate courses, including Postgraduate diplomas and Postgraduate certificates
- Provides yearly funding
- Provides the full total of tuition fees for any given postgraduate course
By signing this petition, you are helping towards fighting for a fairer Higher Education system, where further study is something that all of us can aim towards without financial obstacles.
Please sign and share, thank you!
Today: Vanessa is counting on you
Vanessa Walters needs your help with “Department of Education: Make the Postgraduate Loan fully inclusive of all courses, fees and living costs.”. Join Vanessa and 136 supporters today.