End exclusion from education for 500 000 children living with disability in South Africa
This petition had 44 supporters
In South Africa, an estimated half-a-million children with disabilities are currently shut out of the education system. Although in 2007, South Africa was one of the first countries to ratify the United Nations Disability Rights Treaty urging the government to promote a more inclusive education system, very little progress has been made in the last ten years by the South African government to ensure access to education for all. Today, hundreds of thousands of children living with disability in South Africa continue to face exclusion from mainstream schools with government education officials and medical staff referring them, instead, to ill-equipped and under resourced special needs institutions. This has to end!
Education is a basic and universal human right which every citizen in the world deserves to enjoy free of barriers and discrimination. TODAY, help us to take an urgent stand against the South African government’s exclusion of children with disabilities from mainstream education!
Together, let us demand:
- Fair and equal access to all mainstream schools in South Africa for children with disability
- Increased quality training of all South African teachers in Inclusive Education
- More disability inclusive and accessible learning interventions at all schools in South Africa
- Fair treatment and acceptance of children with disabilities by all government education officials and medical staff
- Proper instruction in South African Language for all deaf learners across the country
- An end to all discrimination, stigma and prejudice against children with disability
For as long as we remain silent, each day that passes is an opportunity lost for a child with a disability to gain an education. NOW is the time to end exclusion from education for all children living with disability! By signing this petition, make your voice heard in our clear message to the South African Minister of Basic Education: 'INCLUSIVE EDUCATION FOR ALL, TODAY!'
Today: Kula Education is counting on you
Kula Education needs your help with “Department of Basic Education : End exclusion from education for 500 000 children living with disability in South Africa”. Join Kula Education and 43 supporters today.