Protect Racing Greyhounds in Great Britain
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500.
The Parliamentary Committee reviewing dog racing in Great Britain has responded to your concerns about dog racing and made a bold series of recommendations to the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA). While this is wonderful news, the Committee would also allow the industry two years to respond to its recommendations! Please sign our petition to DEFRA now, asking the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs to adopt all of the Committee's recommendations - but without the two year waiting period.
Special thanks to Committee Chairman Neil Parish and Members of Parliament who met with GREY2K USA Worldwide President Christine Dorchak and invited testimony from the League Against Cruel Sports following the release of our joint report calling for immediate change within the dog racing industry.
The Parliamentary Committee has responded by making the following recommendations:
- Full public disclosure of injury and death reports
- Full public disclosure of adoption rates
- Humane standards for racing kennels, with random inspections
- Universal track maintenance standards
- Independent verification by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service and local authorities
- A statutory levy (tax) on gambling companies for greyhound welfare and adoption
The time for action is now!
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
I am writing to ask that you adopt the new recommendations made by the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Committee calling for transparency and greater accountability within the dog racing industry. I particularly hope you will enforce the following proposals:
• Full public disclosure of injury and death reports
• Full public disclosure of adoption rates
• Humane standards for racing kennels, with random inspections
• Universal track maintenance standards
• Independent verification by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service and local authorities.
• A statutory levy (tax) on gambling companies for greyhound welfare and adoption
Unfortunately, the EFRA Committee’s analysis falls short by recommending a two-year probationary period. This is unnecessary and ill-advised, as the industry was already given a chance at self-regulation after the 2010 statutory review.
The fact is that thousands of dogs are suffering and dying at Great Britain’s tracks right now. Many more languish in substandard conditions at uninspected kennels. This is an urgent problem that calls for immediate action.
Please act with all due speed to improve conditions for Great Britain’s racing greyhounds.
Thank you for your consideration.
Today: GREY2K USA Worldwide is counting on you
GREY2K USA Worldwide needs your help with “Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs: Protect Racing Greyhounds in Great Britain”. Join GREY2K USA Worldwide and 6,286 supporters today.