Enough is Enough! I Commit to Stand Up for Denver Students!
This petition had 206 supporters
Read our letter, then add your name to stand with Our Denver, Our Schools.
The members of the Denver Public School board continue to make decisions without public debate and without meaningful engagement of the impacted communities. They have not been transparent about their intentions or their process. As a result, three schools will close based on a flawed policy and hundreds of students' lives will be disrupted.
The board also once again, has misled the community about their intentions for the use of bond money after the bond has already passed. The Northfield community believed that the bond money would be used to expand their school, only to find out it will be used to fund the expansion of a privately run charter school.
We are parents, educators, students and community members and we believe in:
- Quality Public Schools - all children deserve to have a quality public school in their neighborhood. Instead, DPS has been closing and phasing out neighborhood schools.
- Funding in Classrooms- the vast majority of funding should go to classrooms and schools. Instead approximately 47% of per pupil funding never makes it to school buildings.
- Respect For Local Input -the vision of local educators, parents and community members should influence the decisions in DPS. Instead, outside corporate money and lobbyists heavily influence decision making and policy in DPS.
- Transparency and Accountability – decisions should be made in public meetings and with public debate. The district should be transparent about how it intends to spend money and accountable for its promises and decisions. Instead, public debate is rare and decisions appear to be made prior to public meetings and engagement.
Today, we call on you to add your name to join with educators, parents, students and community members to say: We demand that the Denver Public School Board uphold the values of quality public schools, funding for classrooms, respect for local input and transparency and accountability.
Additionally, I commit to:
- Join with parents, educators, students and community members to say enough is enough.
- Stay informed about what is happening in our school district because strong communities require strong neighborhood schools.
- Make my voice heard about the schools our students deserve.
Today: Our Denver, Our Schools is counting on you
Our Denver, Our Schools needs your help with “Denver Public Schools: Enough is Enough! I Commit to Stand Up for Denver Students!”. Join Our Denver, Our Schools and 205 supporters today.