#FernsLaw: Update the current pet microchip system which fails missing pets
0 have signed. Let’s get to 35,000!
COMPULSORY TO MICROCHIP OUR DOGS BUT OPTIONAL TO SCAN AND CHECK MICROCHIP REGISTRATION.
Please sign this petition to close the loopholes preventing missing microchipped dogs and cats from getting home.
Stolen Fern was reunited after 6 years because she was picked up as a stray, on her own with no new owner present and her microchip was checked. If Fern had been taken to the vet with an owner, she would still be missing.
We want ‘sold on’ and ‘kept by finding’ missing dogs and cats, who have a new keeper present, to have the same chance as a stray to get home.
Many missing pets are never reunited with their families because it’s left optional to scan and check microchip registration on the original database to make sure pet and keeper match.
Best practice recommendations by the veterinary professionals, authorities and rescues to check microchip registration is devised to be misleading and is approved by Defra. You only find out the truth when your pet has disappeared.
Updates needed to help missing microchipped pets get home:-
1. Scan and check dogs and cats microchip registration on original database at first veterinary practice appointment, before euthanasia and help make sure contact information is up to date. This should be implemented across the industry as a Standard Operation Procedure.
2. One microchip number on one database, to prevent new identity being given to missing and stolen pets.
3. Databases must not change registration information without contacting the original keeper. All databases should be working in unison to a Code Of Practice.
4. When a microchip is scanned the keeper must be contacted immediately by the database before the missing alert is removed.
5. Deceased and injured pets on roads and railways must be checked for a microchip.
6. Seized and hand-in pets must have their microchip registration checked by the authorities and rescues.
7. Immediate reunification if a pet is scanned and is registered as missing on original database.
8. Defra must issue a warning about the bogus database operating as a UK Pet Registry Database which is taking money from innocent pet keepers, not realising that when their pets microchip is scanned the microchip will read as unregistered!
We have microchipped our pets with the expectation to be reunited if the worst happens and they are lost or stolen. If just one organisation is not committed to scan and check microchip registration the whole system fails and is not fit for purpose.
We don’t believe that the Government should only take advice from the British Veterinary Association (BVA) and Rescues on this issue, as they are at the centre of this injustice and are protecting themselves first and not putting the welfare of the animals or their clients first.
Every missing microchipped pets deserve the right to be reunited with their loving family.
Please sign this petition for change. Thank you.
Pet theft rate climbs by 51 per cent in four years, sparking calls for new pet scanning laws: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9598216/call-new-pet-scanning-laws-beat-pet-thieves/
Dr. Daniel Allen ‘s Spatialities of Dog Theft: A Critical Perspective:- https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/5/209
Please note that a microchip is not proof of ownership and we are referred to as ‘keepers’ in the Compulsory Dog Microchipping Regulations, which also gives the new keeper the rights to change original registration on a database:- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2015/9780111125243
Missing pet groups supporting this petition:-
Stolen And Missing Pets Alliance, Doglost, Pet Theft Awareness, The Dog Union, Murph’s Army, Dog’s Today Magazine, Dog’s Monthly, Dog Tag.
Please let us know if you would like your organisation added.
CONTACT YOUR MP: COPY AND PASTE AND SEND TO THEM
Today: Debbie is counting on you
Debbie Matthews needs your help with “Defra UK Government: #FernsLaw: Update the current pet microchip system which fails missing pets”. Join Debbie and 28,772 supporters today.