STOP the CITY OF MOOSE JAW from TAKING $$$$ THOUSANDS STRAIGHT from ITS RESIDENTS!
This petition made change with 1,785 supporters!
UPDATE: MAY 15, 2016 — Thank you for your opposition of the Local Improvement Program here in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. It's been quite the journey, but we have more to do!
A bit of background...I created this ONLINE petition on March 18th, with the hope that it would spark awareness and education. It has done that and so much more!
In order to initiate an OCTOBER REFERENDUM, you MUST sign the current "in the flesh" petition that is circulating via door-to-door and at stations in local businesses across the city of Moose Jaw. It must be signed and witnessed before June 30 (the sooner, the better).
It is the ONLY petition that is valid in putting forward a REFERENDUM this fall. PLEASE make sure that you sign the IN-PERSON petition currently circulating, even if you have already signed this online one. In order to sign this IN-PERSON petition, you must be a Canadian citizen, a resident of Moose Jaw, and an eligible voter. Please ensure that when you sign it, that you correctly fill in all blanks. Failing to do so will result in an invalid signature.
Listed below are the areas, area captains, and stationary signing locations. Please contact your area captain if you would like to canvass (go "door-to-door") with petitions. If you would like to become an area captain (in an area that does not currently have a captain), please contact Don Mitchell at email@example.com.
AREA 1: SOUTH-EAST
(9th Avenue S.E. to 9th S. W. South of Maple and Home St. to the River Valley)
Area Captain: Eleanor Snyder - 646 Keith Crescent - 306-692-9921
Walk-in petition stations: Maple Leaf Bakery, South Hill Fine Foods, Delight Cafe and Wok (4th S.W.) , Moose Jaw Vacuum Supplies (310 4th S.W.)
AREA 2: SOUTH-WEST
(9th S.W. to 16th avenue and Lillooet St. to Southern edge of city.)
Area Captain: Boh Van Tassel - 945 Duffield St.
Walk-in petition station: Westmount Food Market (on 1000 blk. Coteau)
AREA 3: EAST END
(CN tracks to 13th avenue and Manitoba to Oxford St.)
Area Captain: Maureen Burns - 762 Ominica St. East - 306-694-1349
Walk in petition station: Union Grocery (9th and Athabasca St. East)
AREA 4: DOWNTOWN
(3rd Ave. N.E. to 5th Ave S.W. Manitoba to Caribou)
Area Captain: Carrie Richardson (Alternate Root Organics) - 16 Atha. West - 306-693-4372
Walk-in petition stations: Alternate Root Organics, Hub Meats, Grand Valley Press, Main Event Bridal Gowns, Post Horizon Book Store, T Eaton’s Centre, Re-Play Games.
AREA 5: WEST-END
(5th N.W. to 11th N.W. High St. to Caribou)
Area Captain: Travis Adamache - 1017 Caribou Street W. - 306-694-5423
Walk-in petition station: Field Plumbing and Heating
AREA 6: NORTH-EAST
(Main St. to 5th Avenue , Caribou to the Mall and Happy Valley)
Area Captain: Mitch Laslo - 1191 1st avenue N.E.
Walk-in petition stations: Boh’s Cycling on Main St., Chamber of Commerce, and Quark’s Shoes at the Mall
AREA 7: N.W. CENTRAL
(Main St. to 9th N.W. and Caribou to Laurier)
Area Captain: Randonn Swan - 833 Algoma St. - 306-631-5985
Walk-in petition station: Firestone Tire (888 Main St. North)
AREA 8: N.W. 9TH TO 11TH
(Caribou to Laurier and 9th to 11th)
Area Captain: Jackie Laslo - 1002 Francis Street - 306-694-5487
Walk-in petition station: Prairie Heart Mobility (9th and Francis St.)
AREA 9: PALLISER HEIGHTS
(Stadacona to Laurier and 11th to Thatcher Dr.)
Area Captain: Kathi Hagman - 693-0747
Walk-in petition station: Prairie Heart Mobility (9th and Francis St.)
AREA 10: THATCHER N.E./PRAIRIE OASIS
Area captain and petition station currently not confirmed
AREA 11: SUNNINGDALE
Area Captain: Tara Gish - 5th Avenue N.W. - 306-692-2044
Walk-in petition stations: Getty’s Fine Foods (2 Wood Lily Drive), Lynbrook Golf Club (4th N.W.)
AREA 12: VLA / WEST-PARK
Area Captain and walk-in petition stations not yet established
AREA 13: IRON BRIDGE
Area Captain and walk-in petition station not yet established
STOP THE CITY OF MOOSE JAW FROM TAKING $$$$ THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS STRAIGHT FROM THE POCKETS OF ITS RESIDENTS.
RESIDENTS OF MOOSE JAW.
Please read this and take action, before it’s too late!
Less than a year ago, I became aware of huge problem that will affect thousands of residents here in Moose Jaw. The City of Moose Jaw is going to make YOU pay DIRECTLY out of your own pocket for PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE such as city water mains, streets, and sidewalks.
IT WILL BE MANDATORY.
And if you can’t afford to pay, well…they’ll just add it to your property taxes at 4% interest. Sounds like a good idea, doesn’t it?.....
- If you are a HOME OWNER, expect a reduction in the market value of your home and/or a bill of up to $8,500 or more.
- If you are a TENANT, expect a monthly increase in the rent you pay, as your landlord tries to recoup his or her costs.
- If you are a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER, expect a bill from the city up to $50,000 or more, depending on your lot size.
- If your children attend a PUBLIC SCHOOL, expect school fees and taxes to increase (or budget cuts such as teacher and educational assistant layoffs) as the public school board attempts to balance their budget with additional hundreds of thousands to hand over to the city.
- If your children attend a PRIVATE SCHOOL, expect an increase in the annual costs of sending your child to school.
- If you attend a CHURCH or any other RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION, expect that the generous giving of its members will end up going towards public infrastructure.
- And expect that the NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS you support will be required to cut programming in order to make their budgets balance.
Please click on the link below to view of the City Water Mains map, which shows the affected streets in RED.
Even if you on a “GREEN” street, this will still affect YOU.
The businesses you use will raise their prices, landlords will raise rent, the market value of homes will decrease in older areas of town, school fees will increase, and the list goes on…
And if the City of Moose Jaw is successful NOW in taking PRIVATE dollars to pay for PUBLIC infrastructure, what will stop them in the FUTURE from doing the same on different issues. For example, although the Sunningdale area is not directly impacted by this particular “WATER MAIN” issue, if a street needs to be repaved or a sewer line needs to be replaced in Sunningdale in the future, will the city take the same approach by charging the individual residents on that particular street?
This is a city-wide issue and a city-wide problem. Water mains, sewer mains, streets, and sidewalks are used by EVERYONE in this wonderful city, and therefore the costs should be shared by EVERYONE. The work to replace aging water mains needs to be completed but the FUNDING MODEL is COMPLETELY UNFAIR, ARCHAIC, and HARMFUL, not to mention EXPENSIVE for those who are unfortunate enough to live on the streets that still have old cast iron water mains.
In my line of work, I also know that many of the streets that are directly affected by this “Local Improvement Act” are where many families live who are in lower income brackets and cannot afford to pay out of pocket.
As a fellow resident of Moose Jaw, I urge you to stand up and fight this method of funding that city administration has PUSHED THROUGH, despite opposition from many, many local property owners, business owners, and school administrators.
>>>>> WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW <<<<<
1) SIGN the OFFICIAL 'IN-PERSON' PETITION that is circulating via door-to-door and at stations in local businesses across the city of Moose Jaw. It must be signed and witnessed before June 30 (the sooner, the better).
2) CANVASS (GO 'DOOR-TO-DOOR') to collect signatures and educated others on how the Local Improvement Program will have a dramatically negative effect on our city NOW and in the FUTURE.
3) SHARE this information with others. Pass on our Facebook group page (see link below) with everyone that you know in Moose Jaw so that people become aware of this issue. I’m always surprised in my daily dealings as a real estate agent of how many people are unaware of what is happening in regards to this cast iron water main issue. https://www.facebook.com/groups/574182569411145/
4) EDUCATE yourself. Know the facts. There are additional details of the “Water Main Replacement Program” that I have acquired from city councilor, Don Mitchell. Please click on the link below to go to our Facebook group page and read more about this issue: https://www.facebook.com/groups/574182569411145/
5) VOTE! Fall elections are coming and this is going to be one of the hot topics. Choose the City Councilors that will listen to you on this issue. The current decision on the “Water Main Replacement Program” was 4-3 at City Hall. Let’s reverse that decision by voting for people that will listen to our concerns.
Thank you for reading this and taking the time to educate yourself on an important Moose Jaw issue. Spread the word and it could literally save you thousands of dollars!
Local Real Estate Agent* and Concerned Resident
*These are my own personal views and do not necessarily reflect the position and views of the local brokerage I work for.
Contact your Mayor and City Councilors:
Deb Higgins 694-4422 DHiggins@moosejaw.ca;
Patrick Boyle (not listed in directory) PBoyle@moosejaw.ca;
Heather Eby 694-4293 HEby@moosejaw.ca;
Dawn Luhning (not listed in directory) firstname.lastname@example.org;
Candis Kirkpatrick 692-7035 CKirkpatrick@moosejaw.ca;
Don Mitchell 692-6710 email@example.com;
Brian Swanson 692-6263 BSwanson@moosejaw.ca;
Greg Lawrence 694-1001 firstname.lastname@example.org;
Warren Michelson 692-8884 email@example.com;
Citizens Advocating Sensible Taxation:
For further information call 692-6710 or 631-7050
Today: Justin is counting on you
Justin Hammer needs your help with “Deb Higgins: STOP the CITY OF MOOSE JAW from TAKING $$$$ THOUSANDS STRAIGHT from ITS RESIDENTS!”. Join Justin and 1,784 supporters today.