All students have the right to an equal, quality education.
In SMART, a program of Many Languages One Voice, English Language Learner students and educators have developed recommendations for DC Public Schools. Recently, students secured a meeting - through a flashmob! - with DC Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson, which will take place September 6.
We've got the meeting - now we need your help. We want to present your signatures in support of our solutions! They're summarized in the petition, but read the full versions at www.mlovdc.org.
We support SMART's recommendations to make DC Public Schools more accessible and safe for English Language Learner (ELL) students, including:
1) English Language Learner (ELL) Support Groups and Language Access Coordinators at schools with high populations of ELL students
2) An increased number of counselors, and training so that counselors may properly use phone interpretation
3) Opportunities for students to take summer classes, so they can graduate on schedule
4) Healthy, culturally-sensitive lunch options, with numbered lunch menus so students may easily order food
5) A district-wide curriculum for ELL students
These recommendations are aligned with the the spirit of the law from Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and the DC Language Access Act. We urge you to do everything within your power as Chancellor to implement these solutions.