Limit Use of Force from DCPD to Decrease Police Brutality
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
In light of the national movement against police brutality, it has become evident that cities need to act on fixing the criminal justice system by passing a comprehensive set of police reforms. While Daly City does not experience high rates of police brutality, our elected officials must not take this as a sign of complacency to the current system that harms civilians in other cities. We must make sure that Daly City fosters a police force that prevents police brutality. We have seen the calls for change in Minneapolis with George Floyd. His death was not an isolated incident. It happened under the current system. As all 50 states protest to change the system that has allowed for unjustified deaths by the police force, local governments have been facing demands. We see the good that police do for our community. However, the system has laid groundwork for police violence. We ask Chief Patrick Hensley to support our aims and filter out standards that have been used by other police forces across the nation to commit violence.
We urge the Daly City Council to pass the following set of comprehensive police reforms inspired by 8 Can't Wait that will decrease and prevent police violence in our community. For more information, use this guide as a resource.
1. Restrict chokeholds and strangleholds (including carotid restraints) to situations where deadly force is authorized or prohibit them altogether.
2. Require officers to de-escalate situations when possible, before using force.
3. Require officers to exhaust all other reasonable alternatives before resorting to using deadly force in defense of life or to prevent serious bodily injury to the officer or others.
4. Require a force continuum that defines/limits the types of force and/or weapons that can be used to respond to specific types of resistance.
5. Prohibit officers from shooting at people in moving vehicles unless the person poses a deadly threat by means other than the vehicle.
6. Require comprehensive reporting that includes both uses of force and threats of force.
With re-election coming up in November, citizens will be carefully reviewing the actions and progress of the Daly City Council.
"We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform... the more specific we can make demands for criminal justice and police reform, the harder it will be for elected officials to just offer lip service to the cause and then fall back into business as usual once protests have gone away."
- Barack Obama
This is for overdue structural changes within our nation's criminal justice system.
This is for minorities in America who face life and death situations at routine traffic stops.
This is for victims of police brutality.
Sign this petition now.
Today: Julia is counting on you
Julia Macaluso needs your help with “Daly City Council: Approve Policies in Daly City to Decrease Police Violence”. Join Julia and 647 supporters today.