Petition Closed
Petitioning Governor Of Ohio John R. Kasich

Change the law that both parents should have equal rights to the child.

in the state of Ohio the law states that all baby's born outside of a marriage, the mother gets full custody, which is not fair at all, because the father has no rights due to this law unless they file for custody, well if the dad signs the birth certificate it states that he is financially responsible for the child, and he states he is the father, well the mother has 3 days to notify vital statistics if she has doubt that hes the dad, well i feel if the father signs the birth certificate then they should have 50/50 rights to the child married or not, because of that law good fathers who want to be a part in the kids life end up getting screwed in the end, and i feel that once a dad signs a birth certificate he should have equal rights, the only thing the birth certificate states is that your the dad and child support could be informed on you. well that law is bogas because if your in the child's life from day one and the kids mom wants to keep your child away there is nothing that can be done until a court date which is like 5 months away, well that's 5 months a child has to go with out seeing the other parent. i think its unfair and unconstitutional, because there is plenty of moms out there that don't want nothing to do with there kids but hold them over the dads head. i think its unconstitutional and it violates our equal rights act, woman are not better then men, i feel that dads should have just as much right to there child as a mother, because if the mother wants to walk away for lets say a month and then come back in to the picture and tell the dad well guess what u have no rights give me my child, that's gonna mess with the dad mentally, and really mess with the kids head. the dad can go and files paperwork for emergency custody well u have to prove the mom unfit. the dad can go out and file for custody but the court system is so backed up that a court date wont be available for at least a couple months. i feel that rule 17 should be in effect once the father signs the birth certificate, not wait until the father goes to court to be able to see the child, because once again the court date wouldn't be for a while, and in the case the mom and dad are together if rule 17 is applied at birth of the child then they don't have to abide by it unless they separate, but in the case the parents split up i feel that if rule 17 is applied at birth of the child then the child would have equal time with the parent until court is scheduled and it gets set up by a judge!

Letter to
Governor Of Ohio John R. Kasich
Change the law that both parents should have equal rights to the child born outside of a marriage. rule 17 should be applied at the birth of a child born outside of a marriage. giving the fact if the parents are together then they don't necessarily have to abide by rule 17. Giving the facts that the parents later depart from one another, they should look back at rule 17 and abide by that. it would save a lot of time for the courts for custody court. If the father felt the mother was unfit and felt the child was in danger after the parents departed the father then could file for emergency custody, same goes for the mother. it states in rule 17 that there is a residential parent and a non residential parent. by default the mother should be the residential parent until a court date is scheduled and the judge then decides who gets to become the residential parent. Fathers should have rights over there child even if they wasn't married to the child's mother. signing the birth certificate states that the father will take full responsibility over the child with the financial support, physical, emotional, and mental. the mother has a set time frame to inform that the said father is not the biological father. once the father signs the birth certificate a fraternity of affidavit is established. which states that he is the biological father of the said child. i feel that the law for a child(ren) born outside of a marriage should be changed!

Shane Pierce started this petition with a single signature, and now has 174 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.