Reinstate Bike Share at Bentley Campus: Curtin University!
This petition had 69 supporters
Bike Share was a Guild run initiative which made available on-campus bikes for student use. This initiative not only increased physical activity but had the potential to improve mental health, stress levels and alleviate some barriers such as the costs of driving and parking on campus. The Guild has published that the setup costs for the initiative were around $87K in 2016, but despite this substantial financial investment, the program was closed in 2017.
Bike Share is a fantastic way to promote physical activity on campus for students and has the potential to change health behaviour in this target group whilst using a strategy already in place on campus! Join us and support our project to advocate for the reinstatement of the Bike Share initiative at Curtin University! Help us bring back cheap, easy, accessible access to bikes to increase overall student physical activity levels, improve health and reduce stress.
At Curtin University's Bently campus, recent research conducted found that:
- Approximately 60% of university students are not meeting the recommended 150-300 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity per week.
- 75% of respondents were full-time students;
- 53% of respondents indicated they spent most of their day doing light activities such as studying; and
- Time, transportation and stress were 'often' barriers to physical activity.
- 87% of students indicated that they want to increase their physical activity levels and be more engaged with on-campus facilities.
As physical inactivity is strongly linked to chronic conditions such as obesity, and heart disease, it is important that the university environment is able to support physical activity behaviours and make being physically active an easier option.
Through this petition, we aim to gather support from Curtin University students, staff and community to show the Guild what an important, appreciated and valuable resource the Bike Share Initiative is and how much it is wanted back in action!
Today: Smart Moves is counting on you
Smart Moves needs your help with “Curtin University Guild: Reinstate Bike Share at Bentley Campus: Curtin University”. Join Smart Moves and 68 supporters today.