Coweta County parents want a choice in August to do F2F or Virtual!

Victory

Coweta County parents want a choice in August to do F2F or Virtual!

This petition made change with 746 supporters!
Michelle Hatley started this petition to Coweta County Schools BOE Dr. Marc Guy

Coweta County announced July 23 that we will no longer have the option on August 13 to send our children to school for face to face learning or virtual.  They previously told us we would have the choice. They took that choice out of our hands when they voted at the board meeting Thursday.  It is our tax dollars that support and provide the school system so that they can give our children the best education possible. We want our choice back! 

Some of our children can not do school online, especially many with special needs.  When we read that our schools will be meeting SPED needs, we know as parents of these children that your statement is false and not 100 percent possible.  For example, students who need pulled out for small groups or one on one instruction and those who attend classes with an extra TA (teacher assistant) or SPED (Special Education) teacher in the room - how will you make this possible virtually? - Let's be honest, we know this can't happen.  So what happens with these kids? Let me say what I have already witnessed happening- too many children wanting to drop out, especially at the high school level because they know how frustrated they will become and they know they need the helper teacher near to guide them.

Many of us need to go back to work also.  I have 3 children at home.  Two are in high school and one is almost middle school age.  They are old enough to be home alone and responsible enough, however I can not imagine leaving them Monday through Friday while I am at working all day and them actually completing all of their virtual school assignments.  Also there are many distractions at home - pets, games, tv etc.  So this is just an example of one home that virtual will not work in. 

Now I understand the concern of Covid cases going up but I also have read my facts and listened to Dr. Faucci.  I also read all the precautions that our school system announced they would be putting in place from the hand-washing reminders to the sanitizing stations and social distancing, etc. As parents, many of us were very satisfied and happy with the progress the CCSS is making to help stop the spread.  I actually believe in many instances the school system is being safer than some of us are being at home. 

With all that being said, we just want our choice back! Please reconsider your decision to open only virtual on August 13.  Another good option could be to give everyone one more week and give us our choice back for opening August 20. Letting us make the decision for our children if it is F2F or virtual.  

PETITIONERS please sign and share!

Please reference the article released July 23, 2020 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the following link for relevant facts and advise: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html

 

 

 

Victory

This petition made change with 746 supporters!

Share this petition