Covid19- Decarcerate NOW!
Covid19- Decarcerate NOW!
Now is the time to support the demands that have already been made of Governor Baker by the Building Up People Not Prisons Coalition, and call on Sheriffs, DA’s and other local officials to release as many people as possible and to stop the flow of people into jails, prisons and detention facilities! We need to protect our incarcerated loved ones, all of our safety, and public health during the COVID-19 pandemic. We know that jails and detention centers are deadly places to be, especially during a pandemic. In Suffolk County, they have already taken steps to release people and we must too! It is a matter of life and death. See below to call your Sheriff and DA!
In particular, we ask you to:
- release all people from pre-trial detention, including people held on bail and people held pending a hearing on an alleged violation of probation
- release all people with pending applications of medical parole
- release all people with 6 months or less to serve on their sentence
- release all children detained by DYS
- grant clemency for incarcerated people who are older than 60 with significant health conditions
- grant permission for all eligible people to be paroled
- ensure that parole grants result in immediate release, extend furloughs from 14 days to 60 days and grant permission for sentenced people to be furloughed
- any person who has served more than 20 years of their sentence
We share a responsibility to flatten the curve. We must help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by decarcerating and demanding our state officials ensure that the most vulnerable members of our communities can both meet their basic needs and prevent the spread of the virus in this unprecedented global crisis.
After signing this petition, please call or email (script below):
For Hampshire County: Sheriff Patrick J. Cahillane (413-582-7736) and DA David Sullivan (413-586-9225)
For Franklin County: Sheriff Chris Donelan (413-774-4014) and DA David Sullivan (413-586-9225)
For Hampden County: Sheriff Nick Cocchi (413-858-0000) and DA Anthony Gulluni (413-747-1000)
Please also contact State Senator Jo Comerford at (617-722-1532) or Jo.Comerford@masenate.gov
Hello, My name is _________________ and I live in ___________ county. In support of demands that have already been made of Governor Baker by the Building Up People Not Prisons Coalition, I’m calling to demand that the County Sheriff's Office release as many people as possible and work to stop the flow of people into jails and prisons in order to protect public health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. Suffolk County has recognized that jails are deadly places to be and is already making plans to decarcerate and lower the numbers in jails to address the threat COVID-19 poses. We can too. We share a responsibility to flatten the curve. We can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by limiting incarceration and demanding the Department of Public Health ensure that the most vulnerable members of our communities can both meet their basic needs and prevent the spread of the virus in this unprecedented global crisis.