Courtney Gregoire Is Working to Green the Port of Seattle. Will You Support Her?
This petition had 5,279 supporters
For many of us, the Port is just there. We don’t stop to think about what any of our seaports or airports mean for our daily lives. Yet these institutions affect us every day. They play a key role in our economy. They shape our cities. And they impact the air we breathe and the water we drink.
That’s why we must work together to make sure that our ports are reducing emissions and greenhouse gases that negatively affect our beautiful coast.
We must encourage operators of the planes, trains, trucks, and cargo ships that drive our economy to implement sustainable practices that will reduce pollutants in our ports.
Courtney Gregoire has a plan to green our ports – and she’s asking for your support.
Here’s The Plan to Green Our Ports:
· Address air pollutants: Reduce diesel particulate matter emissions by 80 percent and greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent by 2020 from 2005 levels.
· Make Smart Purchases: In 2010, 43% of the Ports’ purchases were environmentally preferable products. Let’s push that above 75% by the end of 2014.
· Increase Recycling: Implement specific strategies for an airport recycling program that hits the goal of recycling at least 50% of all solid waste in airport facilities by 2014.
· Collaborate with all businesses that impact our environment: Use the Environmental Compliance Assessment Program to identify tenants that don’t maintain adequate levels of environmental standards and assist them in becoming environmentally compliant.
· Focus on conservation and stewardship: Restore, create and enhance 40 acres of habitat in the Green/Duwamish watershed.
Today: Courtney Gregoire for Seattle Port Commission is counting on you
Courtney Gregoire for Seattle Port Commission needs your help with “Courtney Gregoire Is Working to Green the Port of Seattle. Will You Support Her?”. Join Courtney Gregoire for Seattle Port Commission and 5,278 supporters today.