Stall the Glenwood Ridge Affordable Housing Development at Glenwood Ave and Government Rd
This petition had 366 supporters
Glenwood Ridge is an 82 unit mixed income (62 subsidized low-income, 20 Section 8) apartment complex slated to break ground in January of 2018, yet very little awareness seems to have been raised by local government and the lack of transparency is concerning.
It goes without saying that affordable housing is an absolute necessity, but putting an 82 unit apartment complex at the intersection of Government Rd and Glenwood Ave on a 3.2 acre lot is a poor decision. Why?
1. The 21,000 square foot historic trolley barn on this site would be 90% demolished to make room for this development. Richmond has a lot of pride in its history (for better or worse), and this property IS eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
2. Lack of green space for the apartment complex. On this 3.2 acre lot there will be two three story buildings with a 130 car parking lot along with the 10% of the trolley barn that will be left to stand.
3. Concentration of poverty. This facility would be within sight of Ashley Oaks, a 250 unit, all Section 8, apartment complex, and within a quarter mile of RRHA's 64 unit Fulton public housing community.
4. Lack of infrastructure and amenities. Neither Government Rd nor Glenwood Ave are adequate transportation routes for an 82 unit facility. The nearest semi-grocery store is Chimbo at the top of Glenwood Ave, which is barely wide enough for cars to safely pass and does not have a safe and usable sidewalk.
5. Developer concern. Upon online review, the James Doran Company does not enjoy a positive reputation for safety, security, and community responsibility. Coupled with the fact that JDC is based out of Charleston, SC and has zero ties to the area, we feel that a local company would be better suited for local needs.
What we want: sidewalks to Chimborazo Park, sidewalks up Glenwood Ave, street Lighting, bus stop with cover, 20 MPH speed limit on Glenwood Ave, more Green Space, a school bus stop, and 24 hour on-site management.
Affordable housing is a necessity, but NOT if it is a disservice to those being housed. Please sign this petition and help let Councilwoman Cynthia Newbille know that the local citizens strongly desire to provide a better service than what has been proposed.
Today: Brian is counting on you
Brian Colegrove needs your help with “Councilwoman Cynthia Newbille: Stall the Glenwood Ridge Affordable Housing Development at Glenwood Ave and Government Rd”. Join Brian and 365 supporters today.